Please select your home edition
Edition
Henri-Lloyd Dynamic Range

Where are 'Reef Dive Whitsundays'?

by Whitsunday Times on 16 Feb 2008
Romance - not long ago upgraded for Whitsundays charter trips, now wrecked George Layton
Passengers aboard ‘Romance’ who were airlifted to safety in the early hours of Tuesday morning were full of praise for their rescuers. Melissa Bourton, Nina Pollack and Tariq Alabbasi were three of the 32 passengers and five crew aboard the 23m schooner. However, a debriefing meeting was held for the survivors on their return to the mainland and those who spoke to the Whitsunday Times claimed the owner of the boat had not offered them anything.

'We have no accommodation and no money to pay for food or accommodation or even to call our families. All of our credit cards are still on the boat,' Mr Alabbasi said.

'We would like a refund for our trip so we can afford to get through until next week at least when we can get insurance sorted out.'

Attempts by the Whitsunday Times to contact the owner were unsuccessful.

The group were on the second day of a three day sailing adventure of the Whitsundays when the boat washed up on rocks on the north-west end of Hook Island, at Caves Cove. No-one was injured. Ms Bourton from England said she was trying to sleep in 60 knot winds when the ship ran aground on rocks. Mr Alabbasi from Bahrain said passengers had to leave their wallets, passports, mobile phones and everything on the boat.
'There was water leaking everywhere, it was coming through the vents and the boat was broken all down the left side,' he said.

Ms Pollack from Germany said the anchor snapped its mooring pushing the boat onto the rocks.

'I was very scared. I feared for my life,' she said.

All three survivors were full of praise for the efforts of the crew, the RACQ CQ Rescue Helicopter and the Water Police.

'We have had a great time in Australia and will continue our travels but this has left a bad taste in my mouth,' Mr Alabbasi said.

Ms Bourton, Ms Pollack and Mr Alabbasi all booked their trip through a travel agent in Hervey Bay and were also trying to make contact with him.

'A local tour company in Airlie Beach have been very helpful and are trying to find accommodation for us for tonight (Tuesday) but most places are already fully booked. They have also given us phone and email packs so we can call home,' Mr Alabbasi said.

Tourism Whitsunday is working with the Whitsunday Charter Boat Association to try to help the passengers, which information is expanded by smh.com.au:


Backpackers plucked from a yacht which ran aground on the north Queensland coast have been offered free food, accommodation and trips after accusing the yacht operator of abandoning them.

Thirty-two frightened tourists and five crew from the yacht Romance were rescued by helicopter after the vessel ran aground on rocks on Hook Island in the Whitsundays early Tuesday morning.

Most were forced to leave their property on board the boat which had offered three-day sailing and diving trips, meaning many now had no money, credit cards, phones or passports and had lost cameras and clothes.

The backpackers later accused the charter yacht operator of abandoning them.

A spokesman for operator Discount Travel declined to comment.

Backpacker Tim Jones, 25, from Britain, said the passengers were very grateful for the help that had been offered, from free and discount accommodation to free meals, toiletries, clothes and transport, after the nightmare experience.

'We were smacking the rocks, we didn't know if there was help coming, we didn't know if the mayday calls had been received,' Mr Jones said.

'It was hell really ... there was no-one on that boat who wasn't terrified and I think it's hitting everyone now how lucky we are.'

A police spokeswoman said officers boarded the yacht in treacherous conditions on Thursday to recover what belongings they could, but some had been swept into the sea.

Tourism Whitsundays CEO Peter O'Reilly said the community would continue to look after the backpackers, while the Whitsunday Charter Boat Industry Association, of which the Romance is not a member, had offered them free sailing trips on their boats.

'The community is dismayed that these visitors have had to endure such an awful experience that unfortunately didn't finish the moment they were rescued,' Mr O'Reilly said.

'International backpackers are the vibrant heart of Airlie (Beach) and we'd like to see this group receive the care and attention we'd want for our own children in similar circumstances.'

Queensland Transport's marine safety department is currently investigating the incident.
Rooster 2026Vetus-Maxwell 2021 v2 FOOTERMarkSetBot

Related Articles

IOM World Championship 2026 Day 4
The cream rises to the top Even on a tricky day, the best sailors and those in form have a habit of finding their way to the top of the fleet. Boat speed helps, but the psychological edge that is gained through a winning run helps fuel further wins and top results.
Posted on 21 May
Inside North Sails 3Di RAW 900
The same fibre flying on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner and the Artemis II When Emirates Team New Zealand asked if their sails could go even further, North Sails answered with 3Di RAW 900. Built on aerospace-grade T800 carbon – the same fibre flying on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner and the Artemis II.
Posted on 21 May
Globe40: A third chapter to be written in 2028/29
The excitement hasn't subsided after the epic finish in Lorient The excitement hasn't subsided after the epic finish in Lorient last April of the final leg of the GLOBE40, which also marked the end of the second edition.
Posted on 21 May
Naples will begin the excitement in September
Second Louis Vuitton Preliminary Regatta dates announced From September 24 to 27, 2026, Naples will officially begin to experience the excitement of the America's Cup with a Preliminary Regatta that promises a spectacular show and serves as a preview of the main event in 2027.
Posted on 21 May
Dylan Fletcher and Hannah Mills must battle
British sailing legends preparing to compete against each other GB1, skippered by Dylan Fletcher MBE, will represent Britain's senior team while Athena Pathway, skippered by Hannah Mills OBE, will represent the British women and youth team at the Louis Vuitton 38th America's Cup Preliminary Regatta Sardinia.
Posted on 21 May
Tre Golfi Sailing Week IMA Maxi European kicks off
One of the great classics returns with 27 Maxi Yachts and a Multihull Trophy One of the most anticipated events of the international sailing season is about to get under way: the 2026 IMA Maxi European Championship, taking place from 22 to 28 May between Naples and Sorrento as part of the Tre Golfi Sailing Week 2026.
Posted on 21 May
Entries are open for SB20 World Championship
Battle of the Titans this October in Hyères Registration is officially open for the SB20 World Championship, paving the way for a "Battle of the Titans" this October in Hyères. Known for its demanding breeze and legendary open-water racecourse.
Posted on 21 May
America's Cup Preliminary Regatta underway
Eight AC40s, five teams, and the first racing benchmark on the Road to Naples 2027. Today's opening Press Conference marked the formal beginning of the first Preliminary Regatta of the Louis Vuitton 38th America's Cup cycle, with the focus now firmly shifting from preparation to competition in Cagliari.
Posted on 21 May
57th La Solitaire du Figaro Paprec stage 1
Tom Dolan (Kingspan) claims victory in Vigo in style Two years after his first victory in La Solitaire du Figaro Paprec, Irish sailor Tom Dolan aboard Kingspan wins the opening stage*. Everything came together this morning to deliver the perfect finish from the sea.
Posted on 21 May
America's Cup: Media Conference - Cagliari
The teams that will compete in the first regatta on the ‘Road to Naples' here in Sardinia After all the build-up and with the iconic America's Cup and Louis Vuitton Cup trophies on stage, the teams that will compete in the first regatta on the ‘Road to Naples' here in Sardinia, faced the world's media and a global audience.
Posted on 21 May