Please select your home edition
Edition
J Composites J/45

America's Cup Preliminary Regatta 1 in Vilanova i La Geltrú - Day 1

by America's Cup Media 15 Sep 2023 11:12 PDT 14-17 September 2023

The picturesque, stunning Mediterranean conditions of yesterday were replaced briefly today by conditions that multiple America's Cup winner Glenn Ashby described as "downright atrocious," from the commentary booth as the rain in Spain, that supposedly falls 'mainly on the plain' decided that Vilanova I La Geltrú would be its intended target on this, day one of the first Preliminary Regatta on the road to the 37th America's Cup in Barcelona.

Race Director Iain Murray, initially delayed dock-out to 3.30pm as a fast-moving weather pattern looked to be passing overheard and offshore but as the teams eventually slipped their moorings from the Pendennis Marina, the pulses intensified, and torrential rain dumped down not only on the competing America's Cup teams but the flotilla of spectator craft who braved the conditions to get close to the action.

The AC40s hoisted their mainsails with the majority going for their J2 jibs as 12-15 knots of breeze filled under a darkening, threatening sky but with the wind direction flicking around, as the storm clouds blew through, the wind shut down to be replaced by sheet rain and lightning strikes off in the distance. The only sensible and 'seamanship' decision as Iain Murray had briefed earlier, particularly with the boats being full-carbon construction, was to abandon all racing and send the sailors quickly back to port.

Kevin Peponnet, co-helm on the French Orient Express Team was visibly pleased with the decision as he came ashore saying: "It was pretty scary when we saw some lightning and we couldn't see above 50 metres. The call was good to come back."

Giles Scott, helmsman for INEOS Britannia backed Iain Murray and the Race Committee's decision saying: "Yeah good decision. I mean maybe we could have sat it out but looking at the weather now it's still not raceable an hour after the decision. Top wind we saw was 15 knots for about ten minutes, but it was all over the place and not raceable and with the visibility and lightning... the weather God's were conspiring unfortunately."

Nathan Outteridge, helmsman for Emirates Team New Zealand, the stand-out performers in the Practice Races of yesterday came off the dock and reported: "I think it was the right decision to abandon, but it was good to give it a chance as we all want to race. It was pretty wet when we got out there. We had about 10-11 knots when we were hoisting sails, so we went for the J2 but by the time we cut the chase it was 4-5 knots and I think after about 10 minutes, Iain Murray realised that this was not a good place to be for everyone and got us all back in. I think everyone is just excited to race, the practice races were great, and we just want to get into it."

Jimmy Spithill, helmsman for Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli, was disappointed not to sail but realistic saying: "It was a little worrisome heading out there with the lightning on the radar but look we gave it our best shot, we did everything we could, and sometimes as we all know in our sport you can't control the weather and ultimately it was decided for us."

Asked what he would like to see in terms of the schedule going forward, Jimmy responded: "If it were up to me, I would probably shorten the races up a little and try and fit more in because that's what we want to see, more starts, more mark roundings and I think people would enjoy that."

Paul Goodison, helmsman for NYYC American Magic, was also looking ahead to what the Race Committee may opt to do with the schedule saying: "It is what it is, in the weather it would have been very difficult to sail with lightning and thunder around, it doesn't feel very nice to be on a boat when all that is happening around you. It will be interesting to see if they try and squeeze a couple more races in, it would be nice for us as sailors to do more races because that's what we're here to do but whatever the Race Committee decide, we will go with that."

Maxime Bachelin, helmsman for Alinghi Red Bull Racing added: "We just tried, we went out, but it was a bit too stormy, thunderstorms, so for the safety I think it's a good thing to head home. There was not a lot of wind as well, so they did what they can, and we will be ready for tomorrow, for sure."

Jimmy Spithill offered an insight into how the team are approaching the regatta from here on saying: "As each race went on yesterday we were just slowly learning and improving but we're under no illusion that it's an hours game and so for, say, the French they are in a harder position as they've had fewer hours than us, but look we're competitive as well and we're not going to use it as an excuse but we're saying to the guys: 'this is reality, let's not get frustrated and let's just keep learning as much as we can every day and in every race'. For me right now, the Kiwis and the Americans look like the teams to beat."

Looking ahead, a decision on the schedule of races for the rest of the regatta will be made in the morning by Iain Murray but with the skies clearing in the early evening here in Vilanova I La Geltrú, hopes are high for a full day of racing and a thrilling weekend of foiling racing in this, the first Preliminary Regatta of the 37th America's Cup.

Related Articles

Cup Spy June 14: All quiet on the Barcelona Front
After Thursday's dismasting by the Swiss team, only two of the five teams based in Barcelona sailed After Thursday's dramatic dismasting, only two of the five teams based in Barcelona sailed Friday in a fresh southerly breeze and a seastate claimed by the Recon teams to be up to 1.5metres. Luna Rossa called an early end to their session. Posted today at 1:31 am
Cup Spy: June 13 - Swiss smash rig
The Swiss America's Cup Challenger, Alinghi Red Bull Racing broke is mast on Thursday afternoon The Swiss America's Cup Challenger, Alinghi Red Bull Racing broke is mast on Thursday afternoon, late into a four hour training session in a breeze of 20kts. With less than 70 days until the start of racing, the options are tight. Posted on 13 Jun
Cup Spy: June 7 - Four AC75s scrap for searoom
Dean Barker and Phil Robertson return to sharpen the Swiss in some contested racing practice Five teams sailed on Friday - four out of Barcelona in AC75s, enjoying a 15kt southerly seabreeze and reasonable seaway Posted on 9 Jun
Cup Spy: June 6 - USA takes a dive
American Magic took an unexpected nosedive, blowing the clew out of a jib and damaging fairings A third solid day of training for NYYC American Magic on Thursday was marred by a high-speed nosedive during the last bear away of the day as the team headed for the harbour entrance at the end of a productive five-hour session. Posted on 7 Jun
Cup Spy June 4: More teams hook up off Barcelona
Five teams sailed, or rather were on the water off Barcelona, in perfect sailing/foiling conditions Five teams sailed, or rather were on the water off Barcelona, in what was perfect sailing conditions for the AC75 foiling monohulls. Alinghi Red Bull Racing had another media session, and trained later. Posted on 6 Jun
Cup Spy May 29: AC75s at the Barcelona Dodgems
Four teams teams sailed on Wednesday in the now-congested waters off Barcelona Four teams teams sailed on Wednesday in the congested waters off Barcelona in ideal foiling conditions. All teams conducted similar sessions focussed around racing drills, with the chase boats being used to provide a competitive edge to the training. Posted on 1 Jun
Cup Spy May 27: Franciwi AC75 design revealed
Three teams sailed on Monday. The British and USA teams sailed AC75s out of Barcelona Three teams sailed on Monday - the British and USA teams sailed AC75s out of Barcelona. Orient Express launched their AC75, while on the opposite side of the planet, the Kiwis conducted some more two boat testing. Posted on 29 May
Cup Spy May 28: Kiwi kids have a big splash
Two videos of the Cup sailing action from May 28 in Barcelona and the ETNZ nosedive in Auckland Early edition: Four America's Cup teams sailed AC75s off Barcelona on Tuesday. Top sailing photographer Gilles Martin-Raget was shoreside to catch the action. Also catch the full video of the ETNZ Youth Team's spectacular nosedive off Auckland. Posted on 29 May
Cup Spy May 25: Two Tango in Barcelona
Today for the first time in Barcelona two of the AC75 teams lined up against each other Today for the first time in Barcelona two of the AC75 teams lined up against each other in a rules limited way. We didn't learn much. The teams may have learned more, and if so - weren't saying. Posted on 26 May
America's Cup: French reveal their hand
Orient Express Racing Team's AC75 was wheeled out of the shed briefly on Saturday For a rig-stepping test Saturday morning, Orient Express Racing Team's AC75 was wheeled out of the shed briefly during the early hours revealing France's hope for the America's Cup. Posted on 25 May
PredictWind - Wave Routing 728x90 BOTTOMCyclops Marine 2023 November - FOOTERLloyd Stevenson - Equilibrium 728x90px BOTTOM