Please select your home edition
Edition
Ancasta Botin Fast40

America's Cup: Bases filling as Challengers go unconditional

by Richard Gladwell Sail-World NZ 6 Dec 2018 03:27 PST 7 December 2018
An earlier view of the America's Cup Bases in Auckland © Emirates Team New Zealand

Emirates Team New Zealand dropped a bombshell at 6.15pm last Friday when they issued a media release saying that eight new Challenges had been received when the Challenge period finally closed 75 minutes earlier.

The Challenges all came in the final days, with three coming in the just five minutes ahead of the entry deadline.

“We’d been actively working with six of them, so it wasn’t a complete surprise”, Emirates Team New Zealand Chief Operating Officer, told the Auckland Council today. “We’d been working with some of these teams for over six months, to try and encourage them into the event,” he added.

“As of today, there are two of those Challenges which are immediately capable of Acceptance. Immediate Acceptance means that all their requirements under the Protocol and Deed of Gift have been satisfied.”

“We also have several, what we call Conditional Entries. They are looking for variations of what is set out in the Entry document. These could be a World Series Regatta or pre-regatta in 2019 or 2020, in their home port. Or, they might be looking for a variation of terms on their entry payments.”

“All the entries have come from credible yacht clubs, although we are cautious we are very respectful of the entries they are putting in. They have all put in a huge amount of effort and taken a big step. It has taken a lot of courage for them to submit their entry. So we are treating them all with the respect they deserve.”

Shoebridge explained that the Defender was working through the vetting process as quickly as possible, as the team wanted to be able to tell the NZ Government and Auckland Council the entry numbers as soon as possible.

He was hoping to have most of it completed by the end of next week or earlier. “But it could take up to Christmas before we get the final number confirmed” he added.

“The situation is that there are two that are capable of immediate acceptance, and we think there is definitely another couple that is possible.”

“For all my time in the Cup, I have never before seen such high numbers of Challengers trying to enter.”

With now three confirmed, “Super Teams” entered, another two teams unconditional, and two teams capable of being unconditional, then the Challenger teams would increase to seven.

In the current plan, there are three single AC75 bases left – which means three Challengers get accommodated.

“We’ve always known that there are just six Challenger bases and you are the seventh; then we’ll have to try and help you in other ways. I think that will be a struggle. But one step at a time, I think we will be clear in another week, and by the end of the year, we will definitely be clear. It’s not that far away, ” he told Sail-World after the Council meeting had concluded.

It does not appear that the Government’s escape clause will be exercised - as spelt out in Emirates Team NZ’s media release sent last Friday: “Should less than three of the late challenges be accepted, the Government and Council will then have the option of not proceeding with the Hobson Wharf extension for the 36th America’s Cup, which would result in considerable cost savings."

It is believed that although the new Challenges are late, they are intending to be in the America’s Cup for the long-term, planning on Challenging for two or three cycles.

The situation with the Challenges seems to be quite fluid.

Initially only one of the eight was unconditional. Less than a week later there are two unconditional Challenges, and two others apparently are capable of becoming unconditional. That means they can be accommodated without changing the Protocol, or only small changes are required to the “living” Protocol document, which was changed 16 times in the previous America’s Cup cycle.

Changes to the Protocol need the consent of both the Challenger of Record, Circolo della Vela Sicilia and Defender, Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron.

Any of the six conditional Challenges can decide at any time to drop their pre-conditions and make their Challenges unconditional. In that case, subject to vetting by the Defender, the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron is obliged to accept their Challenge.

Conditions seeking an America’s Cup World Series event will need careful negotiation. The Protocol also requires that for each America’s Cup World Series, the teams need to each contribute USD$300,000. While they may have allowed for two ACWS regattas in 2019 and three in 2020, any more could have significant budget implications.

Sail-World understands that where the Challenge is conditional or missing crucial information or documents, then the team will have the opportunity to provide or correct that information.

It is understood that there could be small changes to the Protocol to accommodate some of the requests, but these will not be such that a late Challenger could in some way gain a competitive advantage over accepted Challengers.

As matters stand, the Entry Fees and Performance Bond, totalling USD$4million (NZD5.8million) have to be paid by the end of December 2018, unless the time payment option is taken for the second entry fee which can be spread until August 2019.

Today’s meeting of Auckland Council’s Governing Body agreed to contribute a further $14.5million, being a half-share of the residue of a $100million project underestimation of costs for the base development project.

The underestimation was put down to delays in deferring the base location decision until the end of March and after the first Resource Consent process was in its public submission process. The $100million was reduced by $70million with some adjustments to Capex and design refinements.

Emirates Team New Zealand told the meeting that the Cup was in jeopardy if additional the expenditure was not approved.

To control any further cost escalation, an arrangement is in place with the Wynyard Alliance who is responsible for the construction where the Council and the Alliance share any further cost escalation on a 50/50 basis, and similarly, they share on the same basis any cost reductions effected over the project.

The sites for the teams on Wynyard Point are expected to be ready in the last quarter of 2019. The teams are responsible for building their own bases, subject to Council design and specification approval.

There is currently no plan in place if the Challengers go unconditional and there are more bases required than is currently planned. Under the Protocol for the 36th America’s Cup, RNZYS is required to allocate temporary space to a Challenger for a base and building.

All competitors are required to be located at the venue for the 36th America’s Cup, however in previous Cup planning locatuons like the Naval Dockyard have been considered to take spillover Challengers.

Related Articles

America's Cup: AC75 Skiffs vs Scows - who's right?
The four AC75's yachts now launched fall into one of two categories - the Skiffs and Scows. In the past day, two of the recently launched America's Cup teams have released images of their first AC75's sailing, and foiling. The four AC75's yachts now launched fall into two categories - the Skiffs and Scows. Posted on 18 Oct
America's Cup: INEOS Team UK foiling images
INEOS Team UK have released a video which has some brief sequences of their first AC75 shown foiling It would seem that the AC75 went sailing on October 15 (the day before this video was posted). The boat is sailing on a single foil confirming that she is sailing unassisted/or towed. Posted on 17 Oct
130 superyachts register for America's Cup events
Overflow arrangements being put in place as more details released of regattas and events Despite earlier media reports to the contrary, 130 superyachts have registered an interest in attending the America's Cup events in Auckland in 2020-2021. All 73 berths have been booked with a deposit of one month's rental paid Posted on 17 Oct
America's Cup: Four AC75's compared
After 18 months of heavy secrecy shrouding anything to do with the AC75s the wraps are now off After 18 months of heavy secrecy shrouding anything to do with the AC75s, the 75 foot foiling monohull is quickly becoming an open affair with two new boats unveiled last week less than 48 hours apart. Posted on 12 Oct
America's Cup: Emirates Team turns in a good run
After the first testing day since blowing the tack on her Code Zero, Te Aihe finished in a flourish Emirates Team New Zealand was out on the Hauraki Gulf again Saturday, her first sail after blowing up the Code Zero tack earlier in the week. From shore reports there seemed to be a few issues which were largely resolved by the end of the day Posted on 12 Oct
America's Cup deal done despite World Sailing CEO
Cup organisers settle directly with World Sailing Board after political wrangle with CEO Emirates Team NZ have issued a statement advising that World Sailing CEO went behind their backs to the NZ Government after Special Event negotiations stalemated. His moves were rebuffed and the original offer made by ETNZ and COR/D has been accepted. Posted on 10 Oct
Stars + Stripes USA sign video deal with studio
Cup Challenger signs up with Condé Nast Entertainment to produce documentary Condé Nast Entertainment (CNE) and Stars+Stripes USA have announced a development deal for an unscripted show following the Long Beach Yacht Club's America's Cup team as they challenge the world's best and commit to bring the America's Cup back to the USA Posted on 8 Oct
America's Cup: Code Zero shown for the first time
Emirates Team Team New Zealand had fore-shortened training session on the Hauraki Gulf this morning Emirates Team Team New Zealand had fore-shortened training session on the Hauraki Gulf this morning, after their Code Zero let go. Update New images from ETNZ of the AC75 foiling and the blow-out with the Code Zero. Posted on 8 Oct
America's Cup: Off-camera action at Italian launch
La Stampa's Fabio Pozzo backgrounds the Luna Rossa AC75 launch and the off-camera action Leading Italian America's Cup correspondent, Fabio Pozzo was at the launch of Luna Rossa's AC75. He backgrounds some of the off-camera action from a launch typified by the understated elegance that has become the hallmark of the Italian fashion house. Posted on 6 Oct
America's Cup: Bertelli still critical of AC75
Luna Rossa's Patrizio Bertelli: "We could have had more teams with a less aggressive boat." "If the New Zealanders, the holders of the Cup, had listened to me, now we would surely have a greater number of challenging teams" says Luna Rossa's Patrizio Bertelli. "We could have had more teams with a less aggressive boat." Posted on 5 Oct
Vaikobi 2019AUG - Footer 1SOUTHERN-SPARS-AGLAIA-SPARS_728X90 BottomNaiad 660x82px_Tourist