U.S. Multihull Championship - Figueroa and Malatrasi victorious
by Jake Fish on 9 Sep 2013
At the U.S. Multihull Championship, hosted by the Sausalito Yacht Club, it was a memorable day for everyone involved. The 21 teams in Hobie 16s shared San Francisco Bay with Emirates Team New Zealand, Oracle Team USA and all the excitement surrounding the America’s Cup Finals.
2013 U.S. Multihull Championship US Sailing © http://www.ussailing.org
Prior to racing, the Hobie 16s were outfitted with America's Cup decals for their mainsails and sailors chatted with spectators on the beach as they prepared. Sailors were announced to the fans at City Front. The Hobie 16s raced close to shore and provided a great view of the action for the spectators. The bay was flooded with boat traffic, including spectacular yachts on hand for the start of the America’s Cup Finals.
Enrique Figueroa and crew Carla Malatrasi of San Juan, Puerto Rico continued their dominance with four more wins en route to claiming the title. There was a battle to determine the second place team. Andy Dinsdale (France) and Heather Mathews (Sacramento, Calif.) solidified second place by two points over Jeffrey Newsome (Long Beach, Calif.) and Michelle Eatough (Long Beach, Calif.). Adam Borcherding (Santa Cruz, Calif.) and Jacob Sailer (Alameda, Calif.) finished eight points back.
Standings: Top Five
1. Enrique Figueroa/Carla Malatrasi, FVPR/DRD/EDVC, 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-[22/OCS]-1-1-1-1- ; 11
2. Andy Dinsdale/Heather Mathews, none, 3-9-11-13-2-2-5-1-2-2-4-- ; 54
3. Jeffrey Newsome/Michelle Eatough, ABYC / HAHCA / hobie fleet 3, -5-5-10-4-4-10-4-5-3-3-3- ; 56
4. Adam Borcherding/Jacob Sailer, Santa Cruz YC, -11-2-14-5-12-3-2-4-5-2-2- ; 62
5. Mike Montague/Kathy Ward, Hobie Fleet 281, 5-2-3-6-7-6--3-10-8-7-9- ; Event website