Rottnest Island boaties' weekend - fun and safety education together
by Sail-World Cruising on 2 Nov 2010
Calling West Australians! If you or a member of your crew is not 100% on safety equipment, knot tying, safety in approach, or many other elements essential to be a safe sailor, the Pains Wessex Rottnest Escorted Safety Convoy (RESC) is a fantastic opportunity, and a weekend which will be both educational and fun.
Rottnest Island - great place to spend an educational weekend .. .
The convoy is organised by the Boating Industry Association of Western Australia. For over 30 Years, Rottnest Escort Convoy have provided boaties with an interactive experience unique to Western Australia - An organised overnight trip to beautiful Rottnest Island in which you can join in the fun of the quiz, tours of the bay, learn safe approaches, benefit from the advice and guidance of experienced escorts, learn how to correctly use safety equipment, knot tying and splicing.
• Your boat must be between 5m and 11 m in length and be able to maintain a constant speed of 15 knots
• Your boat must have a safe, seagoing reliable power unit
• Your boat must have full insurance cover Please note that although escort vessels form part of each convoy and will do their best to give necessary assistance, in the event of mechanical problems that render your boat incapable of
returning to mainland, it is your responsibility to arrange transport back to the mainland and towing your boat.
• Your boat must have a current Boat Registration Sticker
• Your boat must carry a Marine Radio and a second sand anchor for back anchoring overnight.
• Your boat must have on board Full Regulation Safety Equipment.
There are several departure points to choose from - Fremantle, Hillarys, Woodman Pt, Rockingham and Mandurah
Many participants choose to sleep on board their boats and safe back anchoring on the beach is on the education activities demonstration convoy. This is appropriate for smaller boats (Less than 7.6m in length). There are also moorings and pen available, or you can choose to stay on Rottnest Island itself.
So, if you want to use your boat to visit Rottnest Island with you family and friends in safety, and really enjoy the
benefits of the boating lifestyle – fill out the registration form now and join the famous BIAWA organised Pains Wessex
Rottnest Escorted Safety Convoy!
For Further information please visit the website: www.rottnest.wa.gov.au
If you want to link to this article then please use this URL: www.sail-world.com/76464