Killian leads the Gov Cup again
by Nancy Mellon on 17 Jul 2014
At the Gov Cup 2014, the young team from Balboa Yacht Club of Christophe Killian, Harrison Vandervort and Jack Martin continued to surprise as they were able to beat the second place team.
Killian's team from BYC - 48th Annual Governor's Cup International Junior Match Racing Championship Mary Longpre
Both have nine wins. Every other team has lost at least three of their eleven matches. The other team at the top today, led by last year’s winner Sam Gilmour of Australia Royal Freshwater Bay, lost to Chris Killian as well as Charlie Lalumiere and his team from Oakcliff Sailing Center and Portland Yacht Club. The young team from neighboring Newport Harbor Yacht Club defeated BYC’s team led by Christophe Killian in their match. Christophe also lost to the team from St. Francis Yacht Club. St Francis moved up in the standings with their success today ending in fifth place.
The top eight teams will move into the second round robin, racing once against each of the other teams. Their earlier scores will continue to be counted in the standings. The top four will then move into the semi-finals. The bottom four will have their own sail off. Their earlier scores will no longer be considered.
Place Organization Team
1. Balboa Yacht Club Christophe Killian, Harrison Vandervort, Jack Martin
2. Royal Freshwater Bay Yacht Club Sam Gilmour, Adam Negri, Storm Brown
3. Chicago Yacht Club Will Holz, Clay Danly, Alex Woloshyn
4. San Diego Yacht Club Nevin Snow, AJ Reiter, Jake Reynolds
5. St Francis Yacht Club Antoine Screve, James Moody, Nolan Van Dine
6. Royal Port Nicholson Yacht Club Adam Middleton, Ben Caundle, Will Eastman
7. Balboa Yacht Club Ryan Davidson, Brandon Folkman, Gregg Kent
8. Cruising Yacht Club of Australia Murray Jones, Sam Ellis, Matt Stenta
9. Newport Harbor Yacht Club Sean Segerblom, Campbell D’Eliscu, Carter Scott
10. Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron George Brasell, George Anyon, James Roberts
11. Portland Yacht Club-Oakcliff Charlie LaLumiere, Colin Kennedy, Myles Everett
12. Royal Vancouver Yacht Club, BC Richard Minielly, Connor MacKenzie, Nicole Johnston
The competition today included more match racing tactics as the racers gained experience. Racing is held through Saturday in the ocean near the Newport Pier. Each team competed one to one against every other team in the first round robin during the first two days of racing. Umpires on the water followed each match to make instant decisions if there are rules infractions. The weather cooperated today, with the overcast disappearing and steady wind about eight knots coming from the west. Temperatures remained in the mid 70’s.
Up to date information will be available before, during and after the racing at the event website
as well as on Gov Cup pages on Facebook and Twitter.
If you want to link to this article then please use this URL: www.sail-world.com/124578