In the 2014 52 Super Series Azzurra is confirmed runner-up in the US circuit dedicated to the high-performance TP52's, the highest-level monohull class in the world. The circuit will come to the Mediterranean on May 20th, with the Rolex Capri Sailing Week.
The second stage of the circuit, counting as well towards the US championship, concluded today in Miami Beach under light and shifty conditions. Seven boats were on the start line, crewed by top sailors and with some of the world's biggest names helming or calling tactics.
Azzurra battled it out against the home team, Quantum Racing, leading the standings from the start of the week and as long as the breeze was fresh. The last two light-air days made, instead, life very difficult for the Italo-Argentinean crew that had to give up the victory, finishing in second place both in the Miami regatta as well as the overall leaderboard of the US 52 Super Series. Quotes
Guillermo Parada, skipper: 'We are, obviously, a bit angry since we didn't sail according to our potential. Our plan was to be aggressive in the starts and we, largely, had the starts we wanted or, at least, the starts that allowed us to go on the side we wanted. Unfortunately, we never read the wind correctly and, in every race, the side we chose turned out to be the wrong one.
For me, the most important thing is that we lost having a plan and believing in what we were doing. Unfortunately, it didn't serve but our destiny wasn't on the hands of someone else. We were always in control of our destiny but, unfortunately, it didn't play out the way we expected.
Congratulations to Quantum for their victory, we started the season quietly, third in Key West, then second here in Miami and the US 52 Super Series... so we will reach the highest step of the podium in the Mediterranean in the 52 Super Series!'
Francesco Bruni, strategist and starting helmsman: 'Today was, undoubtedly, a negative day, despite the two starts in which we were able to take the side we wanted, that is the left. Even if that gave us the leadership early on, it then proved to be an awful side, contrary to our predictions. We made the mistake of wanting to believe in it until the end, even in the second race, where the right proved to be favored, although it didn't look like but we realized it when it was already too late.'
Roberto Kercoc - Vice president of the board, YCCS: 'On behalf of Yacht Club Costa Smeralda, I would like to thank our member boat owners, the Roemmers family, and the entire crew for their profound commitment in such a high-level circuit. Azzurra, the sports symbol of our club, was already savoring victory but sport is also made of excellent positions. We are heading back to the Mediterranean with a very respectable second place that gives us the impetus to try to claim again the 52 Super Series, of which we were already champions in 2011.' 2014 52 US Championship Miami
Final standings after nine races:
1. Quantum Racing USA52011, Doug DeVos - 1, 3, 2, 1, 1, 4, 3, 4, 3 ; 22
2. Azzurra ITA280, Pablo A. Roemmers - 4, 1, 1, 2, 2, 1, 6, 6, 7 ; 30
3. Sled USA5095, Takashi Okura - 6, 6, 6, 5, 4, 2, 2, 1, 1 ; 33
4. Interlodge USA5210, Austin Fragomen - 3, 5, 3, 3, 5, 3, 7, 2, 2 ; 33
5. Rán SWE5211, Niklas Zennstrom - 2, 7, 4, 4, 3, 6, 4, 5, 6 ; 41
6. Vesper USA52007, Jim Swartz - 5, 2, 5, 6, 7, 5, 5, 3, 5 ; 43
7. Hooligan USA521, Gunther Buerman - 7, 4, 7, 7, 6, 8/DNF, 1, 7, 4 ; 51 2014 US 52 Super Series
1. Quantum Racing USA52011, Doug DeVos 55pts
2. Azzurra ITA280, Pablo A. Roemmers 59pts
3. Interlodge USA5210, Austin Fragomen 66pts
4. Rán SWE5211, Niklas Zennstrom 67pts
5. Sled USA5095, Takashi Okura 79pts
6. Hooligan USA521, Gunther Buerman 104pts
7. Vesper USA52007, Jim Swartz 113pts (Key West DNC) 52 Super Series – 2014 Racing Schedule
20 - 24 January – Quantum Key West Race Week
5 - 9 March - 52 US Championship, Miami
20- 24 May - Rolex Capri Sailing Week
10 - 14 June - TP52 World Championship, Porto Cervo
4 - 9 August - Copa del Rey, Palma de Mallorca
10-14 September – Royal Cup, Ibiza