2014 49er, 49er FX, Nacra 17 U.S. National Championship - With shifty and breezy conditions, day one of the 2014 49er, 49er FX, and Nacra 17 U.S. National Championship provided exhilarating racing for competitors.
The rare Easterly wind direction provided sailors with robust puffs off the land and consistent 10-12 knots breeze. Needless to say, the catamarans and skiffs were cruising around the course.
'Today presented some of the best conditions we have seen here in Oyster Bay,' said Sarah Newberry. 'It was super fun sailing today.'
Sarah Newberry and John Casey, Nacra 17 sailors and US Sailing Team Sperry Top-Sider members, had an advantage over other competitors after previously training at Oakcliff earlier in June.
'We focused on placement rather then speed,' said John Casey. 'Good placement is essential especially in places like this. By focusing on placement, Sarah and I were able to stay ahead of the rest of the fleet.'
Sailors are looking forward to racing tomorrow after the adrenaline-charged racing today. The first gun tomorrow will start at 12 pm. Current Results are as follows: 49er:
1. Fred Strammer/Zach Brown
2. Brad Funk/Trevor Burd
3. Andrew Mollerus/David
4. Tyler Macdonald/Harry Schmidt
5. Mac Agnese/James Moody
6. Paul Throop/Alex Throop
7. Sam Gustin/Ian Woodbury 49er FX:
1. Wade Waddell/Ian MacDiarmid
2. Kristen Lane/Maggie Shea
3. Paris Henken/Helena Scutt
4. Debbie Capozzi/ Molly Vandemoer
5. Mayumi Roller/Kayla McComb
6. Michael Sabourin/Andrew Pearson
7. Emily Dellenbaugh/ Elizabeth Barry
8. Campbell D’Eliscu/Briggs D’Eliscu
9. Kate Shaner/Ellie Shaw Nacra 17:
1. Sarah Newberry/John Casey
2. Enrique Figueroa/Franchesca Valdes
3. Sarah Streater/Matthew Whitehead
4. Mike Easton/Katie Pettibone
5. Jeremy Wilmot/Louisa Chafee
6. Terri McKenna/Annie Gardner
7. Cate Gundlach/Garrett Brown
8. Joseph Bello/Christina Persson
9. Sophia Schultz/Nico Schultz
10. David Hein/Chris Manson-Hing
For more information, please visit our website
or email Samantha Pilz at firstname.lastname@example.org