FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best advice from a sailing coach

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Oatsandbeans View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Oatsandbeans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best advice from a sailing coach
    Posted: 01 Nov 12 at 6:00pm
I havent had much involvement with the RYA Coaching establishment but my limited contact has been interesting. I think that the best bits of advice I have had are, "lots of low down mast bend" ( said with a strong yorkshire accent), and " go left on the second beat" - never fails to brimg a smile, that one. Id be interested to hear of any other pearls of wisdom dispensed from on high.
JohnW View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 12 at 8:10pm
An old rowing coach one told me (again in a broad accent)
"If you want to go faster, pull harder".

I guess this would translate for sailing as
"If you want to go faster, hike harder"

Mister Nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mister Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 12 at 8:14pm
I heard a coach shout 'keep it flat or you'll die' at 2 lads in a 29er once. :L
frow3n View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote frow3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 12 at 9:42pm
I've had that shouted at me and also seen the youtube vid :)
Laser Radial 201357
29er 1907

Queen Mary SC
pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 12 at 10:19pm
I had one of the gits catch me buying chocolate milk and a snickers bar rather than going for morning PT at Grafham regional training once, he made me run laps of the car park as a punishment.... Oh how I laughed when karma stole his gold medal on the Nothe this summer.

Edited by pondmonkey - 01 Nov 12 at 10:20pm
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 12 at 10:29pm
not from a coach, but one multi-Endeavour winning helm when asked how to point higher responds "push the tiller away from you"
-_
Al
themeaningoflife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote themeaningoflife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 12 at 11:18pm
"Keep it flat or you'll die" 29er TT squad coach in mental conditions, seemingly being serious.

"How to win? Sail faster than everyone else" From RYA racing exec officer when asked what was the mentality needed to win a race.
Cambridge University Lightweight Rowing Club
RS800 1128

kindly sponsored by RWO Marine
robin34024 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote robin34024 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 12 at 9:44am
not from a coach, but before the last race in a bad event, i rafted up with my mate who told me simply to 'get in front then stay in front'... I came 4th that race :D
Streaker 1837
RS600 638
Cherub 3201
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 12 at 10:06am
How to win? Finish the course before everyone else.

How do you do that? Sail your boat/board faster then everyone else over a shorter distance.

How do you do that? Learn how the wind blows, so it blows on you better than it does on everyone else.

Simples.
pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 12 at 10:46am
Originally posted by iGRF

How to win? Spend your formative years racing with the tactical elite board sailing squadron, then sail faster than any yella welly. 

How do you do that? Sail your boat/board faster then everyone else over a shorter distance using lee bow effective and maximising the salinity effect against the Laser class.

How do you do that? Post unrepentant nonsense on internet forums and never, I repeat, never grace your split wetsuited ass to the side deck of something as lame as  Cirrus/Devoti iCon

Simples.

FTFY
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>