FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2012 Endeavour Trophy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
2547 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 12 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by pondmonkey

I guess the RCYC are struggling to make it viable, I doubt many of the kids at our club would even know what the Endeavour is.  
Shame really as it is an excellent event, needs better PR.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 12 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by 2547

I thought they had a strict rule, national champion helms and that was it.

If such a rule exists/existed I don't believe its ever been enforced in practice. Apart from anything else there are plenty of sailors for whom a weekend sailing in a highly tidal river in strange moderate performance boats has minimal appeal.
I don't really think you can say its any less credible (or more) than its been in the past. It has been and probably always will be dominated by the sort of semi pros who class hop between those sorts of moderate performance boats.
Personally I'd say being selected for the Olympic team is every bit as appropriate a qualification as winning a Nationals, and the presence of a few Olympic sailors could only enhance the event. Just think how much more oomph the event would have had if they could have got the whole Olympic team turning out... it would be kind of like Top Gear's F1 Stars in a reasonably priced car...

Edited by JimC - 02 Oct 12 at 4:45pm
GybeFunny View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote GybeFunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 12 at 5:11pm
Its great to see the olympians in the list, heres my prediction for top 3:

Stuart Bithell
Nick Craig
Tom Gillard
tickler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tickler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 12 at 6:52pm
Hmmmm....i have a bad taste about the Endevour.......
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 12 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by tickler

They can't get all class champs there, sadly - never have been able to. It is a club for either boats with a large Nationals fleet or those which have traditionally been invited, even if numbers have dropped in recent years.

Very much a product of its time, I'd say, as an invitational meeting. Holding the event in mid speed boats is obviouly going to be an advantage to helms who sail in a certain type of boat normally, but not half as much as it would be if sailed in Musto Skiffs or 49ers.

The scottish version is interesting, as a handicap event. Just as flawed, but in different ways.

Personally, as cvrda National Champ, and Minisail National champ, I can see why I might have passed under the radar... If I ever win the Lightnings, or the Minisails when the fleet has grown to 30 boats (I can but dream...), maybe I might feel slighted at not being invited, but I doubt it!

Edited by Rupert - 02 Oct 12 at 7:04pm
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 12 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by tickler

If your lad wants to sail he'll need to win in somthing with greater recognition, if he's good he'll no doubt prevail ...

Edited by 2547 - 02 Oct 12 at 7:29pm
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 12 at 7:37pm

Having a "Champion of Champions" event is a nice little concept. Having it in "neutral" boats is, I think, better than the Scottish version- which uses handicaps modified somewhat arbitrarily. Since the sponsorship by Topper, they have been properly "neutral" - after all, there's apparently never been a Xenon nationals (as far as I can find).

The invite criteria do seem rather opaque and "quirky", but hey, it is their event and they can invite who they want to. If it was the RYA running it then we (or at least, RYA members and members of RYA-affliated clubs and classes) might have a right to expect transparent criteria. And there's little chance of a boat-supplier sponsor ponying up to supply enough for every class to get invited!

-_
Al
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 12 at 7:43pm
Why are people so negative about this?
So various people would do it various different ways.
As it is, it gets together a cross section of top dinghy sailors and get them racing.

If people can do that better, I think there would be space for another event.

Given that it was founded and the trphy donated by Jack Holt's business partner, Beecher Moore, it seems appropriate to have the oloder classes well represented.

Shame no formal representation of the RS400 of course, but there are at least three in there.
One or two Merlin sailors, not to put too fine a point on it....

As for 'pro' sailors, I think its good to see Olympians on the same race track, and the two people who have won the most endeavours in recent years are in no way professional sailors.

Hope they get decent weather and have fun.
andymck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote andymck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 12 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by JimC

Originally posted by 2547

I thought they had a strict rule, national champion helms and that was it.

If such a rule exists/existed I don't believe its ever been enforced in practice. Apart from anything else there are plenty of sailors for whom a weekend sailing in a highly tidal river in strange moderate performance boats has minimal appeal.
I don't really think you can say its any less credible (or more) than its been in the past. It has been and probably always will be dominated by the sort of semi pros who class hop between those sorts of moderate performance boats.
Personally I'd say being selected for the Olympic team is every bit as appropriate a qualification as winning a Nationals, and the presence of a few Olympic sailors could only enhance the event. Just think how much more oomph the event would have had if they could have got the whole Olympic team turning out... it would be kind of like Top Gear's F1 Stars in a reasonably priced car...

I seem to remember John Merricks not getting an entry on the grounds that although he was euro and world champ, he had not won a nats that year. May be why the pairing is that way round. Shame as there are often classes wanting an entry. 
I think the result will depend on the weather. If its light, my money is on the Camms, who have led twice on Saturday, then blown away on windy Sundays. Windy, it's a tricky venue, experience counts, so hard to go against Nick. 

Andy

Edited by andymck - 02 Oct 12 at 8:06pm
Andy Mck
Peaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 12 at 8:34pm
It is a classic event, and no doubting the quality of the field, but it seems a bit of old school tie event, which does affect the credibility. I suspect there are quite a few on that list that are not actually the current champions in their nominated class.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>