FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The RYA will boycott another Olympics?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 12 at 8:20am
Thank you - that was very clear, and I can see why you are doing it now.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
rogue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 12 at 4:42pm
Sorry, I still see this as a total non-issue for the 21st century.  Quite frankly if the RYA were to exercise a right to boycott, then I have enough faith in them that they are doing it with the best intention- e.g. a macro IOC/Government programme for boycott for a genuine reason within any current political, social or economic context.  

The RYA are the interface between sailors and government and in the grand scheme of things, it's probably  best they retain as much autonomy as possible.  

If this change were tabled as a motion for the RYA membership to vote on, my vote would be against.  Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but sometimes being part of Team GB means finally accepting team decisions might not always suit individuals.

furtive View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote furtive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 12 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by rogue

Sorry, I still see this as a total non-issue for the 21st century.  Quite frankly if the RYA were to exercise a right to boycott, then I have enough faith in them that they are doing it with the best intention- e.g. a macro IOC/Government programme for boycott for a genuine reason within any current political, social or economic context.  

The RYA are the interface between sailors and government and in the grand scheme of things, it's probably  best they retain as much autonomy as possible.  

If this change were tabled as a motion for the RYA membership to vote on, my vote would be against.  Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but sometimes being part of Team GB means finally accepting team decisions might not always suit individuals.
*steps carefully away from thread*
Colin Simonds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Simonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 12 at 5:41pm
Thank goodness for democracy votes and free speech.  I have no problem with your view at all - fortunately for us you seem to be the minority view on this - save of course for the RYA Council itself - but I am pretty sure they have not had a fair briefing. 
The big risk I see - is that they get bullied or bribed into a boycott they do not want and have no choice  but to agree.- as in 1980 when they had among other pressures their income from the sports council threatened  - You can threaten councils - harder to threaten athletes.
all the best and thanks for your input  the debate helps us think through all the various issues for when we do sit down with them - as we surely will, one way or another
Colin Simonds
One of 12 Winners of 1980 Olympic trials - but RYA Boycotted the 1980 Games.
Founder member 2012 Anti RYA Boycott Group.
Petition website www.nomoreRYAolympicboycotts.com
rogue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 12 at 6:47pm
Well good luck Colin. You may well find the RYA Exec aren't too fussed about retainIng it, and if that is their will then I saw no harm in supporting you. I do however think change for change's sake is not necessary, nor do I believe any change will make any difference to the historical record from your own games.

One final point- in an age of rendition do you really think that a (vocally defiant) individual sportsperson's 'rights' are in any way more protected than the team collective would be under the warm auspices of the RYA? I know I don't- in fact I think it would be very easy for a lobby to bribe or intimidate an individual if he or she was faced with such a decision as to participate on not on global socio-political or ethical grounds.

Edited by rogue - 12 Apr 12 at 6:51pm

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 12 at 7:17pm
I suppose you could ask "Does the RYA have ownership of the Olympic sailing team, or are they selecting sailors on behalf of the BOA?" If the latter, then their job is done (in terms of decision making) once the team is selected, and I can't see how it is their business whether there is to be a boycott at any point. If the former, then they have the right, I suppose, as things currently stand, whether right or wrong. 
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
DaveT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote DaveT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 12 at 7:35pm
You didn't go to Moscow, get over it, move on. 

Changing rules now, to give a small group of single minded individuals, complete control over any aspect of a governing bodies decision making isnt the right approach IMO. Nor will it change your unfortunate circumstances all those years ago.
Colin Simonds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Simonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 12 at 9:22pm
Let me try another tack here-  the 1980 team were ''mugged'' in 1980 by politicians mainly - and by the pressure they put on the RYA .
That mugging has left scars that will probably never heal . To one extent - right  live with it.  Well - on that live with it matter - you need to understand what an elite sportsmen sees as his/her Olympic dream and how it affects then when it is lost.  The highest level per 1000 population of suiciides in the UK is athletes.
One 1980 team member is dead from the depression ( I am told that started in 1980)  then suicide who knows if related - some have told me it was - another team member tried suicide and survived,  That person told me clearly his depression  started in 1980.  He now says he is over it.
In this situation when I can see what the Politicians and the RYA did to their team ( and teh RYA added to this by the appalling way they handled the Boycott)  - they Mugged them for short term political gain - and not one Afghan life was saved and not one Russian troop left Afghanistan  they were there for 10 years.
So for me - and yes I had depression as well -  I see also now a duty to try and stop it happening to others.  There have to be less ''muggings''.
Colin Simonds
One of 12 Winners of 1980 Olympic trials - but RYA Boycotted the 1980 Games.
Founder member 2012 Anti RYA Boycott Group.
Petition website www.nomoreRYAolympicboycotts.com
Jon711 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 12 at 10:02pm
To say James was a minority view was very sheltered....   Most of us could not bother posting, about something that happened before we found boats....

I do think that a let sleeping dogs lie attitude, may work.....All your posts have done is (needlessly ) open wounds, that I do not believe were there in the first place....

How can we have to read so many pages over something that happened 30 years ago?

FFS most of this forum (I exclude myself ) weren't even born then..

Sour grapes taste better, when stuffed with a bit of Feta cheese.......
Blaze 711
rogue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 12 at 10:27pm
Colin- it sounds like you all needed some professional help, probably not so easy to come by in 1980. We shouldn't mock any form of mental illness, there's far too much taboo around it even today, but these examples do nothing to further your cause that the athlete is the best placed to decide upon the social, political and ethical impact of flying the Union Jack as a representation of our nation.

Can I say just one thing- please don't waste too much more effort here, you run the risk of seriously opening up old wounds. I would strongly recommend you retire behind a closed door with the RYA- speak to someone who will listen, rather than trying to convince club sailing folks many of whom really don't care and have far bigger stresses in their lives than not getting to go to a sailing championship- and if that sounds harsh, maybe flipant, well it's because you damn well right, most of us will never know what it's like to be so driven at the highest possible level of the sport to put our own desire above the political and humanitarian agendas of our democratically elected leaders. Who whether we like to admit it or not, we have entrusted with our safety, security and tenured position on the global stage. So please, genuinely, save your breath for those paid to listen and action if appropriate.

Edited by rogue - 12 Apr 12 at 10:44pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>