FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best 2 person small pond class?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Phil eltringham View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best 2 person small pond class?
    Posted: 13 Aug 05 at 3:18pm
my old club was about 13 acres and we sailed 200's on there fine, in fact because they had a taller rig than just about everything else (lake was surrounded by trees) they were the most competative boat there. 
FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen
kasey3000 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote kasey3000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 05 at 9:22pm

I have used my 200 at Lakeside which is 75 acres, along witha  buzz and a 4tonner....so you can use asymmetric on small lakes no problem!

As well as symmetrics....as long as you know what you're doing, you can sail pretty much everything on a little lake!....an 18ft skiff mite be the exception!

Kasey

49er 908
stuarthop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote stuarthop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 05 at 7:52pm
i wouldnt say that i sailed mine at corus colors which is only about 25 acres with no trouble

redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 05 at 7:34pm
A nice boat the 200 but no good on small ponds due to asymmetric.  The suggestions of Grad, Firefly, N12 and Albacore are good.  The Scorpion is a lovely boat but again a spinnaker is difficult to use effectively in really confined waters, although symetrical is better than an asymmetric.
Olly4088 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olly4088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 05 at 8:22am

Originally posted by KnightMare

RS200 was the first thing that sprang to mind when i read that, but Im not to sure if you could get a nice one for your budget. if your lucky and you see one BUY IT. the chances are if you didnt get on with it you could actualy sell it on for more. they are great boats and easy for kids to learn in, but do have a look at the other boats mentioned since their price ranges might be slightly better.

I totally agree.  I have a 200 and it is great. I sail it with my girlfriend who is fairly new to sailing.  The good thing with the 200 is that even the older ones are totally sound.  I have sail number 207 which in rs terms is the 7th boat and it is still competitive,  Also with 200s there are very few things that have changed over the years.

Phantom 1298
Blobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 05 at 1:57am

I have been sailing with my son (now 7) for the last 2 years in a 420.

At first glance it would appear to meet your needs...

stuarthop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote stuarthop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 05 at 5:39pm

scorpion? can pick them up quite cheap some older boats are built from fibre glass as are some of the newer 1s. can take a large range of weights due to the raking rig allowing the mast to be raked back when it gets windy to depower the boat.

Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 05 at 2:08pm
National 12. ( paper dart / Tigres / Design 8 )
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 05 at 10:16am
My automatic reply would have to be a Firefly, as they are rarely beaten on the water by Lasers in small spaces, but you will struggle to find a decent plastic one for 1500. A faster boat on Handicap, which suits inland waters very well indeed, is the Albacore. In a blow you will struggle at that weight, but for 90% of the time inland you will fly. (On small puddles, spinnakers are fun, but you will rarely see them genuinely paying on handicap.) National 12 also a great boat inland, and for 1500 you will get a perfect non double bottom version which will be as quick inland as a modern one in almost all conditions. Make sure you read the blurb on their site concerning which design to buy. 1970's and 80's Merlins also excellent, once spinnaker work is up to it, but again they will be wooden.
Wave Rider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wave Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 05 at 10:29pm
Grad's are quite nice to sail!
           -[Franko]-
Chew Valley Lake Sailing Club
           RS600 933
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>