FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Using Campers/Motorhomes for doing the Circuit..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Bootscooter View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Bootscooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using Campers/Motorhomes for doing the Circuit..
    Posted: 08 Nov 10 at 10:31am
Hiya  *waves*,

So how many here use campers/motorhomes for going to and staying at events?

I've decided that my little VWs are just not up to the task of taking myself, SWMBO, dog, 2 Topper sailors round the country, and am considering a larger (older, very cheap) motorhome to do the same.  I realise that fuel economy will be poor and the travelling times will increase, but what are your experiences like?
Current plan is to get a van with a "U" shaped lounge at the back that I can reip out and replace with bunk-beds, leaving the dining area forward for SWMBO and I to relax in.  I'd be hoping not to be using the shower/toilet (generally using Club/camp site facilities), so could use this as a drying room?

What do you think? Smile

Edited by Bootscooter - 08 Nov 10 at 10:32am
GarethT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 10 at 1:32pm
Wrong place to ask ........ on here they mostly hate kids doing the circuit!!

Wink

Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 10 at 1:38pm
Got to be honest, i just kip in the car at opens.  If a club has a problem with that then as a genral rule of thumb, i don't go to the event.  I have often thought about converting an old transit van, but my wife wont let me keep it on the drive....(Stuck up cow)
GarethT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 10 at 2:01pm

My van is invaluable for events, but then I use it as a daily drive so don't have the extra cost of running a third vehicle.

If you're getting a big van, I would keep the toilet. Not all places keep the loos open - Rutland close theirs at night. It's ok for us boys to wee up a hedge, but what if swmbo needs a dump??

Forget the drying room idea -  it will make your whole van stink - but a hanging rail off the back isn't a bad idea.

Get blown air heating. If we haven't got hook-up it's pretty cold in the winter, but 2 sleeping bags each makes it bearable.

I have an oven in my van - essential for cooking up proper food. So easy to chuck a lasagne or shepherds pie in when the boy comes ashore.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 10 at 2:16pm
Got a VW transporter which I have to use for property maintenance jobs (cement sand and stuff)
So I've made a removable false floor for doing the odd open event.....kit, sails go under and we kip on a proper bed on the top level....seriously cosy and fine for 1 or 2 nights.

Bit embarassing for nooky though, the higher we are above the c of g the more the van rocks Embarrassed

Edited by GK.LaserII - 08 Nov 10 at 2:19pm
kevg View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote kevg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 10 at 2:52pm
Personally found its cheaper to book a travel-type-lodge or even a cottage for the weekend than finance a motorhome and its running costs.

If you plan to take a camper on the Topper circuit you might have to book your pitch now! Each major event has a camper van city and some venues have limited spaces. 

If you use the van in winter/early or late season make sure it can be heated without an electrical hook up, i.e diesel or gas.

You will also be wanting a double stacking box trailer with spar tubes...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 10 at 3:56pm
It's the pheromones that ooze out of the kit bags......we have a little signal....... if she puts my boots outside Thumbs Up  

Hope she doesn't read any of this otherwise it's thumbs down

Edited by GK.LaserII - 08 Nov 10 at 3:58pm
Bootscooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bootscooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 10 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by kevg

Personally found its cheaper to book a travel-type-lodge or even a cottage for the weekend than finance a motorhome and its running costs.
Really?  I did some sums and worked out (not including tax and insurance) that we'd save 110 pounds a weekend over the Premier Inn we've been using at Havant! Shocked

Already got the trailer and tubes LOL
kevg View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote kevg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 10 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Bootscooter

Originally posted by kevg

Really?  I did some sums and worked out (not including tax and insurance) that we'd save 110 pounds a weekend over the Premier Inn we've been using at Havant! Shocked

Already got the trailer and tubes LOL

I do like the concept of a motorvan but realistically for me it would need to be a 3rd vehicle and motorvans don't come cheap! In addition to tax/insurance/service (vehicle and habitation)  I would need to find a storage space as I have a restrictive convent and can't park on the drive.
radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 10 at 6:47pm
I do remember when doing the Laser Circuit, I followed a motorcaravan that had difficulty getting to Bughfield (If I recall) there are width restrictions to negotiate, they had to do a big detour, not sure if other sailing clubs have similar issues.

I'd look for a motorcaravan that has a "garage" at least its somewhere to put kit wet or dry.

Oh and lugging kit up to a Premier Inn hotel will make you popular. I think the Motorhome thing is a wise option, for our club as an example, if we didn't have on site camping I dont think we would get that many to the ECPR. The nearest "big" hotels are about 30-40 minute drive from the club.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>