FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what was the highest wind speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Captain Morgan View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Captain Morgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 10 at 10:34am

28kts in a Q'BA. Surviveable but not fun, and having been injured in less, not a wind speed I'm willing venture out in these days, at least not without good reason.

I was a tad disappointed yesterday to hear that a fellow Q'BA sailor has managed a maximum boat speed of 15.2kts in his Q'BA (therefore beating my own record) - he apparently did this in 30-50mph winds (F7-9). He's welcome to hold onto this record if those are the required wind speeds!

Matt Jackson View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 10 at 1:01pm

30kts in a Contender.

Great upwind (surprised an RS400 crew by rounding windward mark just in front), flippin hairy offwind. Called it a day when hammering away planing to weather and a gust got under the bow flipping the boat over before I had any idea what was happening. Fireball guys I was passing looked a bit pale afterwards.

RS400 1289, Laser 203001
MRJP BUZZ 585 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MRJP BUZZ 585 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 10 at 2:51pm
40 knots but it picked up literally as we launched and I
was hanging by my finger tips onto the trapeze on a buzz
with both main and jib flogging and the boat was still
going over and 35 knots in a flying fifteen actually being
able to sail never realised how fast and how wet you can
get on a two sail reach.
Josh Preater

BUZZING IS FUN

G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 10 at 12:23pm
Force 9 during a marathon windsurfing event sailing at Hayling, not that it
could be described as sailing, more survival and that didn't last long, the
biggest gust finally blew the board clean out from under me, then straight
up in the air and away, the entire kit, board mast sail boom, never saw it
again.

Then more recently they recorded 48 knots during Weymouth speed week
in 2006 I think it was whilst I was going thorugh the course, it almost
stopped me dead and I recorded 31.5 kts during it.

It's not sailing once the wind tops 35, it's enduring and very few small
craft are capable of that imvho.

I certainly wouldn't want to be out in a small boat in anything of that ilk, not
with all those ropes, wires, sharp breaky bits to get impaled on, never in a
million years..

Edited by G.R.F.
radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 10 at 11:14am
F9 in a rib rescuing a 505
F6 gusting 9 in a Laser (hit my head so didnt last long as a trip to A+E needed)
F8 gusting 9 onboard a yacht doing my Day Skipper.
Smight at BBSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Smight at BBSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 10 at 10:36am
Abersoch 600 nationals. Who knows how windy but certainly far far to much to go sailing in, especially with the full rig, huge swell and a large insurance bill afterwards...made it to the start boat though but definately wouldn't do it again
RS600 988
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 10 at 8:45am

Been out in something silly at Minorca Sailing, in a reefed 2000. The (probably not that accurate) anemometer at the shore base apparently hit Force 10 whilst I was out, according to those too chicken to venture onto the water. Probably wasn't quite that strong (I'm realistic about these things), but it was certainly wild.

Still put the spinnaker up though. Didn't break the boat. So it wasn't actually Force 10. However, given the size of the chop in the bay, Force 8 (34-40) really wouldn't be outside the realms of possibility.

-_
Al
Scooby_simon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 10 at 8:29am

Originally posted by Stefan Lloyd

In a dinghy - 30 knots in a Europe at Grafham. It looked completely innocuous from the clubhouse. Too much for me and the one time in my life I've needed the rescue boat to tow me home. Another sailor became separated from the boat, which ended up damaged on the shore - she was picked up OK.

Grafham does that!  I've seen many a visitor look at it and go "it's OK, it's only blowing a 5; actually it's blowing 7, Naa; go out, break something"

Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
hollandsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hollandsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 10 at 8:26am
35 knots for me
Laser 184084
Tasar 3501
RS600 698
RS600 782
Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 10 at 6:11am
45 knots 20-ish years ago in a Sigma/33 in the Solent during a Winter Series. We only had the no 1 reef reeved because the forecast was not more than 20 knots. Forecasts have got a great deal better since then. The bottom six feet of the atmosphere was visibly full of spray, an effect I've never seen before or since. A J24 capsized in the same event and one crew drowned.

I've also skippered a Hunter 707 in what built to a steady 35 knots in Cowes Week. Crew said I was cool, calm and collected and I'm glad they thought that because actually I was pretty worried. It took a long time to come up from the single broach we did and getting the boat upwind to the finish was only possible by easing the jib sheets to a close-reaching setting. We finished the race and then took the knackered main to the sail-maker. They had plenty of work that night but we were sailing again next day.

In a dinghy - 30 knots in a Europe at Grafham. It looked completely innocuous from the clubhouse. Too much for me and the one time in my life I've needed the rescue boat to tow me home. Another sailor became separated from the boat, which ended up damaged on the shore - she was picked up OK.

Edited by Stefan Lloyd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>