FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Olympic Classes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 20>
Author
Isis View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 07 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Helz

I think there should b more sailing in the olympics.

How about

• Topper Class (women)
  • Vago Class (Mixed)
  • Moth Class (Male)

it would b good 2 get more emphasis on sailing in a country that is surounded by water and were only 10% of the inhabitants can sail competantly.

Any reasoning behind those coices? seems a bit of a jup from topper/vago to moth
HannahJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HannahJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 07 at 8:23pm
Topper single hander I assume? Bit of a jump down from a laser...
Also surely you're going to get more women than men at that standard who would be small/light enough to sail a moth?
MIRROR 64799 "Dolphin"
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail
Villan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Villan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 07 at 8:43pm
Family boats in the olympics ....

Please no!!!
Vareo - 149 "Secrets"
TandyUK Servers
49erGBR735HSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 07 at 9:16pm

Lets make the 100 metres sprint a stroll as well.....

Dennis Watson 49er GBR735
Helensburgh S.C
Boat Insurance from Noble Marine

Hobbo View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hobbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 07 at 9:48pm
Sounds a bit like Estate Car racing being at the pinnacle of Motor sport, which now I come to think of it could be quite entertaining  .

Just to make this more constructive, classes should IMO be these, (depending on if they want to change classes as well as categories) :

Female Singlehander : Laser Radial
Open Singlehander : Laser
Male Singlehander : Finn or Musto

Open Windurfer : RS:X

Female Doublehander : Trials
Joint (Compulsory 1 male and 1 female) Doublehander : 470 unless someones got a better suggestion?
Mens Doublehander : 49er

Open Multi-hull : Tornado

Open lead-mine : Open to suggestions.

It is nine classes they are cutting it down to right?

Working on that assumption I've limited it to one keel class as they are more expensive, take up more of the Athlete allocation and are harder to transport.

Edited by Hobbo
Contender GBR 362
Osprey 1318 - IVplay
SSC
CurlyBen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CurlyBen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 07 at 11:48am

I think there should b more sailing in the olympics.

How about

• Vago Class (Mixed)

See which boat can break first?
RS800 GBR848
Weston SC
CT249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CT249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 07 at 12:34pm
I think a year's windsurfer production is equal to half of the entire production of Lasers, ever - so giving the boards just one medal (which will go to a guy because of higher mass/muscle ratio) seems extremely unfair when the singlehanded dinghies get three medals.

The number of windsurfers built each month or so they probably equals the number of skiff types that have been built in 100+ years, so it seems very unfair that the skiffs get a male and female boat. And the windsurfers have a much stronger pro circuit than the skiffs ever had, so it's not as if they are bad for spectators.

In the interests of fairness and publicity, we may need MORE board classes, not less. The RSX is often considered to be a spectacularly doggy board but it will probably be around for a while.

What about;

Women's singlehander - Radial
Men's singlehander - Laser

No singlehanded skiff type - it's a tiny area of the sport, with tiny numbers outside the UK. Okay they look good, but the crewed skiffs are there for that. PS I'm not knocking high performance singlehanders, I'm a Canoe sailor

Men's skiff - 49er
Women's Skiff - 49er Sport (OK, I know it's not going to happen, dunno why not) or RS 800.

RSX men (a new form of F42 to return for 2012)

RSX women (ditto)

Tornado

Star - for the big fellas.

470 with at least one female in each crew.

On a different note - why is sailing so expensive to run in the Games? Here in Sydney, we used to get 130+ Olympic boats out training plus the normal weekend fleets of another few hundred, and everyone just used the normal facilities. Then came the games, and suddenly the normal facilities were not good enough.

Obviously there are press and security issues, etc, and host cities want to show off - but couldn't sailing try to bargain for cheaper facilities and keep more medals as a trade-off? The fact that a single swimmer can win half as many events in a single Games as the entire sailing world is just silly.

Edited by CT249
Helz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Helz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 07 at 2:22pm

There were no reason for my choices other than:

1. Topper - Get more light weight people into olympic sailing. It doesn't seem fair to me that nearly every sailor at the olympics is like over 8 stone - I proberly only think that because I am only 5.5 stone myself.
  2. Vago - pretty cool boat. Fun for trapezeing on and I think they are a good boat for mixed sex helm and crew.
  3. Moth - Basically they are a totally awsome boat when they are flying. It would help perswade more people in our great nation to sail when they see howmuch fun can be had from the sport.

Does anyone agree with me now???

luv Helz
Black no sugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Black no sugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 07 at 3:39pm
Nope
Harry44981! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Harry44981! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 07 at 4:22pm

There were no reason for my choices other than:

1. Topper - Get more light weight people into olympic sailing. It doesn't seem fair to me that nearly every sailor at the olympics is like over 8 stone - I proberly only think that because I am only 5.5 stone myself.
  2. Vago - pretty cool boat. Fun for trapezeing on and I think they are a good boat for mixed sex helm and crew.
  3. Moth - Basically they are a totally awsome boat when they are flying. It would help perswade more people in our great nation to sail when they see howmuch fun can be had from the sport.

Does anyone agree with me now???

Topper: I used to sail one, much as I like them they don't belong in the olympics. Plus at 5.5 stone you'd be better suited to the light-end of the Oppie fleet.

When I sailed the Vago it felt unrefined- not a fan at all. Fine for a faster cruise/ club racing. Not for the olympics.

Moth- get your point about the publicity. Would the poorer nations be able to be competitive though in such a fast developing class? Especially if rich nations keep pouring money into it to get the best boat.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 20>