FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

remembering a course

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
desteve1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote desteve1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: remembering a course
    Posted: 02 Jan 10 at 10:01am
when I took part in the club race I kept forgetting the cource and ended up doing 1 lap too much.( Im quite slow in my 4.7) Is there a simple way of remembering the course?
laser 81188 (looking for a name)
tgruitt View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 10 at 10:28am
Write it down on a piece of duck tape stuck to the deck!
Needs to sail more...
asterix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote asterix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 10 at 10:52am
you need to keep looking out for shorten course flags too
Wee Man View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wee Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 10 at 10:56am
Duck tape is the answer to all problems, but make sure you take it off at the end of the race as it can leave a nasty mess if forgotten about.
Lukepiewalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 10 at 1:26pm
Sounds like you are having a problem with the number of laps rather than the course itself. You should get a honk as you cross the finish line. Without knowing the finer points of the system for courses and the like used at your club it's hard to know if the following advice is of any use.
Onyhoo, for what it's worth, I do the bobsleigh pilot thing and 'think' myself round the course to plant the shape of it in my head.
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
asterix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote asterix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 10 at 1:45pm
actually you might not get a honk as the rules do not require that
winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 10 at 2:14pm
Probably your best plan is to enrol on the cadets Get Ready to Race course in the Easter holidays, then you'll learn all about racing, including starting, finishing, remembering the course, going faster etc.  There is more info coming in your membership pack later this month.  You should also sign up for the beginner Laser training on 3rd April - speak to Jeffers about this one.

In the meantime, were you racing with the lasers, the handicap fleet or the cadets?  There should always be a cadet/novice start, so make sure the race officer knows you want one. 

What I do is have a piece of white sticky back plastic permanently stuck on my boat, then I use a chinagraph pencil to draw the course on, as well as write down which side the mark is to be rounded on.  Courses at Hunts can be tricky because the marks aren't fixed, and they use coloured flags not numbered marks.  The course will always be drawn up in the club house where you sign on, so copy that onto your boat.  There will be a number of laps given too, but they tend to put a stupid number then always shorten the course.

The shorten course flag looks like this:

so if you see this on the flag pole it means you should be finishing next time you go through the line.

The best way to start off with is to note of who starts when you do, then keep an eye on them during the race to get an idea of what's going on. If you fall a long way behind the race officer may shorten you a lap early, so keep an eye out for the flag.

Jeffers is your fleet captain, if you ask him nicely he may offer to buddy you through a race or at least go though the course with you before the start.  If I'm there you could ask me too, or James in the phantom.

Hope some of this helps,  Nessa

Edited by winging it
the same, but different...

desteve1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote desteve1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 10 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Lukepiewalker

Sounds like you are having a problem with the number of laps rather than the course itself. You should get a honk as you cross the finish line. Without knowing the finer points of the system for courses and the like used at your club it's hard to know if the following advice is of any use. Onyhoo, for what it's worth, I do the bobsleigh pilot thing and 'think' myself round the course to plant the shape of it in my head.

It's not the laps I have a problem with, it's the marks.

thanks for the help guys

Edited by desteve1
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 10 at 2:58pm
Hi Steve,

I have sent you a PM.

I hope Santa bought you lots of stuff for your boat .

Cheers,

Paul
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
desteve1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote desteve1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 10 at 4:39pm
not quite everything ( I have to pay off all my debts). I need a clamcleet for my (new) outhaul system.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>