FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Real D-One Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 73>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 14 at 6:15pm
Well Pete (our Blaze sailor) took it out in the club race today and pretty much lead all the way round, it was a bit of a freak wind all over the place race, but it and the D Zero were out front a lot of the time, meanwhile we're sinking in the light stuff from those stupid no use to man or beast self baler things.

Originally posted by boatbasher

now if you could just review your position on the lee bow effect and drunk driving whilst your in the mood ...
Not going to happen anytime soon..
winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 14 at 6:03pm
I lent my boat to a pretty good phantom sailor yesterday.  I think he rather liked it.  I'm hoping he remembers to bring it back tomorrow.

I like mine so much I'm going to sell it......and buy another one!
the same, but different...

scotsfinn View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote scotsfinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 14 at 9:37am
GRF - hats off to you ... it's certainly a day that'll down in the anals of Y&Y forum. Go one say it again ........ I WAS WRONG .... love it Wink

Got my D-one earlier this year and have had a few swims, but couldn't care ... if you persevere the sailing just gets better and better. I was wrong to too - it sails like a dream, is remeniscent of a Finn upwind, is a blast downwind and really nicely built. BUT is is still not pretty (looks like an aenemic preying mantis when it's undercover on the hard!!) - but who cares .... just can't wait to go sailing every time I get a chance.

Largs Sailing Club. D-Zero GBR 57, B14 744
www.blueseaconsultingllp.com
boatbasher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote boatbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 14 at 5:46am

Originally posted by iGRF

"I've had to take back everything I ever spoken ill of that D One, it is a superb boat and the most fun I've had recently in a single hander, it's probably a bit big for me, but nonetheless it's an absolute joy to sail, the very antithesis of that RS100, it's in a totally different league." from the demo day post..

I've been very wrong about this boat, can't say how bad I feel about all the bollox that i certainly had a part in, it is a really well put together, stable, well mannered boat, OK I still think the lefty one eye look is perhaps not the coolest look, but once you sail it and hoist and recover the kite, gybe it, tack it hike it upwind, it just does everything well, it's not surprising it's slowly gaining momentum on it's own merit.

It must be a simply awesome boat to compete in, I don't think I'd hold it much past 10-12 knots, but in anything less than that I reckon I could do some damage in our club events. Provided the course suits naturally and on a windward leeward,it would rock.

This is a big day for this forum, Grf admits he was wrong ... Have a good look guys and girls as it will be a long time before we could see this again, now if you could just review your position on the lee bow effect and drunk driving whilst your in the mood ...

Edited by boatbasher - 20 Jul 14 at 5:47am
Bootscooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bootscooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 14 at 10:13pm
I can only echo these comments.... I bought my boat on the strength of what my son told me about it, in essence. The boat is wonderful.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 14 at 9:55pm
I can only second Igrf's main points. Its a great boat, I was lucky enough to sail for a month. Its a delight to sail, but like all powerful boats needs practice time, that said in light to moderate any decent club sailor can handle it.
Null View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Null Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 14 at 9:45pm
It has been a long and laborous task even getting people in the boat roger.

I am genuinely happy that people are now at least giving it a go.  It's a truelly awesome boat, very underated.  It's been a good year so far for the class and shaping up to be even better? 
Roger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 14 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by iGRF

"I've had to take back everything I ever spoken ill of that D One, it is a superb boat and the most fun I've had recently in a single hander, it's probably a bit big for me, but nonetheless it's an absolute joy to sail, the very antithesis of that RS100, it's in a totally different league." from the demo day post..

I've been very wrong about this boat, can't say how bad I feel about all the bollox that i certainly had a part in, it is a really well put together, stable, well mannered boat, OK I still think the lefty one eye look is perhaps not the coolest look, but once you sail it and hoist and recover the kite, gybe it, tack it hike it upwind, it just does everything well, it's not surprising it's slowly gaining momentum on it's own merit.

It must be a simply awesome boat to compete in, I don't think I'd hold it much past 10-12 knots, but in anything less than that I reckon I could do some damage in our club events. Provided the course suits naturally and on a windward leeward,it would rock.

Don't forget there is a smaller main available at 9.5 sqm, could be ideal for you.

It really does seem that all you have to do is get somebody into a D-One for them to realise what a superb boat it is, I've seen people decide to buy one after just 10mins afloat recently.

iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 14 at 6:46pm

iiitick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iiitick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 14 at 3:01pm
Just come back from a week in Chianti......Wild Boar stew would have been more tempting. Or should that be Wild Bore?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 73>