FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1/4 tonners + the cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
detente View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote detente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 09 at 12:34pm
you should be so lucky! That mowing my garden by now!
tgruitt View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 09 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by detente

I'm hoping they have replaced the lawnmower engine in that thing by now!

Needs to sail more...
detente View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote detente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 09 at 12:19pm
detente View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote detente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 09 at 1:02pm

Does any crew who have put a campaign together wish to publish the costs they have spent and then each to their own can judge the costs as to whether it is expensive or not!

laser193713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 09 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by detente

My gripe is that in order to take any quater tonner to a competitve level, (as generally they have either been neglected for years in a shed or turned into a cruiser), it costs a huge amount of cash in order to do so.

No not really, we didnt spend a lot, we have done more than we needed to, and 9th in that fleet is good i would say, there are a lot of  top crews and our crew for the event had never sailed together before!

Edited by laser193713
detente View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote detente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 09 at 12:47pm

Dont get me wrong I have nothing against optimisation of any boat (quaters included) to what the owner interprets as IRC friendly mods. My gripe is that in order to take any quater tonner to a competitve level, (as generally they have either been neglected for years in a shed or turned into a cruiser), it costs a huge amount of cash in order to do so.

But at the end of the day if you can justify spending lots of money on a little old race boat fine...I suppose this is indicative of Keel boat racing in general, Its an expensive sport!

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 09 at 1:52pm

Dont let this forum make them sound boring! They're great boats to sail despite looking funny in some cases, we're glad our boat looks normal though!

Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 09 at 12:32pm

Originally posted by laser193713

If anyone is confused, a performance based handicap is one like in golf, where the skill of the player is equalised by their handicap

In general in sailing performance based handicap doesn't mean that. It's meant to be a handicap for the boat, not the helm and crew. I say "in general" because some clubs do apply personal handicaps to some racing but that's different from what systems like PY and PHRF set out to do, which is to handicap the boat or class.

How the administrators of performance-based systems can actually differentiate between the performance of the boat and the skill of the crew for one-off boats is perhaps, like the manufacture of sausages, something best not looked into too closely.  

Edited by Stefan Lloyd

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 09 at 12:04pm
ok, i thought u meant it, i just wanted to clear that up, the metric system had hardly been heard of back then!
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 09 at 11:48am
Originally posted by laser193713

The rule for IOR is actually under 18.5 ft not anything to do with metric!

Laser193713, I meant to write 19ft not m, so my previous post has been edited and is now correct.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>