FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Devotti Single Hander

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 92939495>
Author
rodney View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote rodney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 09 at 5:17pm

Originally posted by G.R.F.

Rodney...

please come to Hythe and demonstrate your boat..

I'm sure you can show us all how to sail.

Maybe bring Mike Lyons.

See if either of you could even get off the beach...

Never mind get downhill.. You'll find the hills are a little steep to get
down.

Unlike your puddles..

Puddles - Hayling Bay?  NOOOOO!

Hardy worth going all that way to prove what Mike and I know!  I am sure Mike will concur!  Why do you assume that none of us have never launched off a difficult lee shore with big waves or sailed where it's a little bumpy?  Living in a world where you think you are the only one?

Enjoy your sailing

I do!

Edited by rodney
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 09 at 5:26pm

Rodney,

I think it is fantastic the D-one has taken off as well as you mentioned.

I was definitely one of the sceptical ones, but 8 by the bloody Mary s very good going considering the price of the boat.

Fair play.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 09 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Phil eltringham

touche

but I'm an engineer, if I could spell I'd be an english teacher, give me numbers any day of the week

I thought you worked at RINA HQ? That's not real engineering 

Phil eltringham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 09 at 7:28pm
only by day, by night i tranform into engineering-nerd!
FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen
blaze720 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote blaze720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 09 at 8:12pm
Greame

Why not use your time developing your own boat rather than telling the world what is wrong with all the rest ?  You were the one who was going to 'show us' how to put a spinaker on a Blaze ... we are waiting ... and we are still waiting etc etc.  

Just lighten up, and enjoy your hobby.  DL painted himself into a tiny corner on 'anarchy' and was flamed to a crisp.  The bottom line you argue is that we are all 'wrong' - but we really really don't care.   Until you (and Doug) 'put up' your own tangible efforts rather than pontificating via keyboard and throwing ill aimed rocks around you are likely to get both flamed and ignored, in the sense that anything is really changed, as well.  What is it down your way - Have you stopped sailing for the season or what ?  Any real input is being buried in all the 'noise'.

I offered you help to do something practical, and we were and are always keen to help those who want to try something different for real even if we don't always agree initially.  You have not taken up these repeated offers so I will argue your comments and views are now slightly devalued.  Your comments also often appear naive and/or provacative and seem to have little to do with 'winning' others over to a point of view.  We are not 'sensitive' as you put it at all .... but your input is not likely to be ignored.  It must surely not be a surprise when the 'replies' are in a similar vein and your input can end up being discounted out of hand because of the 'way you say it'. 

Others have tried different rigs, a blade jib, a spinnaker (2 x groups and now a new group as well), stern sheeting etc etc.  They actually do these sort of things away from keyboard, work with builders and CA's, allow others to 'try' and provide constructive input - and occasionally the world changes.     

Mike L.

PS - I raced boards for nearly 17 years before returning to dinghies.  Some things are transferable and some are not - not much more to say there.             
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 09 at 8:33pm
I have twice asked you for the spinnaker kit you had and I'd have bought
a new sail.

You twice told me the guy was on holiday.. That was when I was still
interested, sadly I've moved on.

You might be good at what you do Mike, but being a salesman isn't one
of your skills.

We've been blown off more than on this autumn, again this weekend.

I've got the trap wires on it, I know the mast will take a spinnaker, it's
another example of a sail/mast mis match if ever there was, but in this
instance in a good way. But then I'm told I've got the 'wrong' sails,
Elvstroms are not on the pace.

I actually love that Blaze and can get it round without spinning out in a
force five now, but down wind in waves, kicker fully off, I'm sat right on
the label and still it'll plough in, my next move would be to pointy the
sharp bit, I'm sure the bluntness doesn't help.

Maybe next spring, maybe I'll hate the Rs100, maybe the Blaze has more
righting moment.. maybe the D1 will fit a kick up rudder.. lots of maybes
- exciting isn't it?

Found a copy of Dinghy Magazine 1980...Not a lot has changed.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 09 at 10:11pm

GRF,

The original mark one blaze as per my piccy elswhere in the forum used to be a fully batterned beast of a mainsail.

Perhaps they thought they needed an M7 Eiffel tower strength mast.

I think I have mentioned before, perhaps they might have been better off with a carbon bendy mast, as the power was way too much.That's why they changed it. We found ourselves reaching downwind without a kite.

Now they have changed it you can find yourself wanting to go dead downwind more becasue the stays are now slack, they used to be under tension.

When we were reaching downwind we tended to get on the plane quite early and didn't worry too much about the flat bow, now of course, its flattness comes into play.....unfortuneatly.

I think you are right about the kite, it's been mentioned for a long time, however Mike has explained that one, right or wrong.

That's why I moved class again....ever chasing the perfect boat!

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 09 at 8:50am
Didn't GRF complain about a pointy bow in the new Rooster boat, and now a blunt one in the Blaze? What sort of bow do you want - you are running out of options...How about the Topper style spoon bow?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 09 at 5:22pm

I also meant to add (forgot sorry) GRF the nosediving thing is easily solved by sheeting in and bearing off....honestly it does.

Tim

Originally posted by timg

GRF,

The original mark one blaze as per my piccy elswhere in the forum used to be a fully batterned beast of a mainsail.

Perhaps they thought they needed an M7 Eiffel tower strength mast.

I think I have mentioned before, perhaps they might have been better off with a carbon bendy mast, as the power was way too much.That's why they changed it. We found ourselves reaching downwind without a kite.

Now they have changed it you can find yourself wanting to go dead downwind more becasue the stays are now slack, they used to be under tension.

When we were reaching downwind we tended to get on the plane quite early and didn't worry too much about the flat bow, now of course, its flattness comes into play.....unfortuneatly.

I think you are right about the kite, it's been mentioned for a long time, however Mike has explained that one, right or wrong.

That's why I moved class again....ever chasing the perfect boat!

blaze720 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote blaze720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 09 at 6:12pm
Greame

The spinnakers are available .... still.  You were told that the CA' s technical officer Peter Barlow had them months ago.  I would have assumed you would have made contact by now - contact details on the CA website.  Why keep asking me ?   They have another request currently from an association member along similar lines and I think it will now be done.  (you know that surely anyway don't you as you are on the CA forum - so why comment here ?).  I am not the CA, I only advise, but if they have spare equipment and are happy to supply you that's just fine here. 

As for the saleman comment - One of the skills of any 'salesman' is to recognise a tire kicker at 100 metres.  Their role is to deal with potential customers.  The "I would have ordered if only 'carrot danglers' of life" are best left to competitors in my 'limited' experience. 

For the last time - I'll support any person or group who wants to try things out - have done in the past and will do so in the future I'm sure.  We've developed a particular configuration to deal with a certain segment of the market.  The Blaze makes a very competant spinnaker platform - but sad gits that we are we not content with merely competant as it would not be significantly faster than Halo or even Blaze on occasion or the current developments by others.  Insufficient differentiation would result.  It requres a different hull and when done that is what will be used.  The End.        
Mike L.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 92939495>