FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Devotti Single Hander

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9192939495>
Author
blaze720 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote blaze720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 09 at 10:45pm
The Blaze nosedive issue is a rocker not a rig issue blah blah etc

No it is not ... it is a 'user issue'.  You just need to sort out your technique. It's not helm weight related either - either come along to a training event, get time racing alongside other Blazes or simply ask any competant singlehander helm in virtually any other single sail class, Laser will do and you must have a few locally.  This is hardly Blaze specific stuff it is just you are in one at the moment and I'm guessing have virtually zero previous time in any other single sail singlehanders. 

Have you ever considered sheeting 'in' rather than reacting by dumping mainsheet ?  Go on give it a try next time ..... be brave ...must be worth a bit of a try at least. 

Mike L.

PS - I can't be the only one dying to hear what you think of your next ride ! 
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 09 at 11:09pm
Mike, try reading your own forum, loads more helms than me know the boat
is a bit of a 'water pusher' even the guy who sold it to me warned me about
it.

Sheeting in? Down wind? and what depower by over sheeting?

Give me a bit of credit will you...

I had a couple of season in an MPS if you must know and didn't have any
issues downhill, it was uphill that I could never master over a certain wind
strength, same as the Blaze funnily enough, except at least with the Blaze
that threshold is a tad higher.
rodney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 09 at 7:29am

Originally posted by G.R.F.

Mike, try reading your own forum, loads more helms than me know the boat
is a bit of a 'water pusher' even the guy who sold it to me warned me about
it.

Sheeting in? Down wind? and what depower by over sheeting?

Give me a bit of credit will you...

I had a couple of season in an MPS if you must know and didn't have any
issues downhill, it was uphill that I could never master over a certain wind
strength, same as the Blaze funnily enough, except at least with the Blaze
that threshold is a tad higher.

Everyone who sails a singlehander should know - downwind (the run), overpowered -  ease the kicker a little and sheet in - hey presto - no nosedive    That is assuming that you are keeping the boat flat and fore and aft trim is good, by that I mean sit max aft and keep the boat flat with mainsheet tension!  I have sailed Finns downwind in up to 35 knots with no problems using this technique!

Rocket science?  NO - just logic as there will be less sail area presented to the wind.  I'm absolutely with ML on this one

Hope it's windy today GRF then you can try doing what the rest of the capable singlehanded sailors do! 

I am guessing that this has been wasted on you but maybe it will help others.

Uphill you need a rig that flexes in the gusts so that it automatically de-power - heeling is slow and you lose ground to windward - slip sideways.  Keep it flat GRF    Downhill a flexible rig works well, after 60 years of development of such a rig in the Finn (probably one of the most refined dinghy rigs around, bearing in mind the strict class rules) taking the concept into the D-One was an easy decision.  Were you too busy writing on various forums to read Adrian's report on a sunny day in Hayling Bay?  Go here and you may get the idea http://devoti-one.co.uk/devoti-one_suntouched3_009.htm 

Have a nice day's sailing!

Why not make the trip to Hayling Island on 5th December - weather permitting - and see for yourself how well the D-One copes with the conditions?  We will have a rib available in case you decide to boldly go where no man has gone before - mining in a D-One!

Don't worry, I have broad shoulders and am ready for the response - at least everyone else on this thread can have a laugh

Rodney

Edited by rodney
rodney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 09 at 7:44am

D-One test day at Mengeham Rythe SC on Hayling Island, 5th December.  To book for a test sail and get details email me at rodney@devoti-one.co.uk

Rodney

rodney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 09 at 8:20am

D-One rigging guide

For all those lucky people with D-Ones, or orders for D-Ones, you can find the first draft of the official rigging guide here:- http://www.devoti-one.co.uk/d-oneriggingguide.pdf

Rodney

rodney@devoti-one.co.uk

mongrel View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote mongrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 09 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Phil eltringham

I'd love to know where I've gone wrong in ten years of reasearch and experement on lift theory and composite engineering

perhaps a few years learning to spell first may have helped!

Phil eltringham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 09 at 12:07pm

touche

but I'm an engineer, if I could spell I'd be an english teacher, give me numbers any day of the week

FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen
nathan View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 09 at 2:59pm

So how many D-One's are there in the UK at the moment?

How long have they been on sale?

rodney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 09 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by nathan

So how many D-One's are there in the UK at the moment?

How long have they been on sale?

4 so far which, with the success elsewhere, is all we could get (allocation) so far but hope to get 3 more very soon.  I expect that there will be 8 or more at the Bloody Mary.

Production of the D-One started in June but demand has outstripped supply so Devoti are making a 2nd set of moulds so the availability will be ramped up soon.

Come try one on 5th December.

Rodney

G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 09 at 4:50pm
Rodney...

please come to Hythe and demonstrate your boat..

I'm sure you can show us all how to sail.

Maybe bring Mike Lyons.

See if either of you could even get off the beach...

Never mind get downhill.. You'll find the hills are a little steep to get
down.

Unlike your puddles..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9192939495>