FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A level product design ideas.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
s.a.l.t.y View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote s.a.l.t.y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 08 at 5:17pm

Well that plan's gone down the drain...

I had my first technology lesson today and was told that instead of being able to make anything we have to design and make a new mp3 player or alarm clock radio.

Bugger.

olly_love View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote olly_love Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 08 at 5:35pm
then make a carbon one. or make a waterproof case for a mp3 or bracket and speakers for a dinghy
TWO FRANK-Hunter Impala

MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 08 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by s.a.l.t.y

I had my first technology lesson today and was told that instead of being able to make anything we have to design and make a new mp3 player or alarm clock radio.

They've done you a favour really - you can now go home and build whatever you want (moth hull or carbon snack box for laser rudder) without having to justify it or write about it! Much more fun, and it would cost you the same anyway.

Either that or make an alarm clock radio for offshore yachts that wakes you up with a forecast, and displays the wind direction and strength instead of the time. Make 4 units that interact with each other to sync the on/off-watch times for 4 crew members.
s.a.l.t.y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote s.a.l.t.y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 08 at 6:41pm

Originally posted by olly_love

then make a carbon one. or make a waterproof case for a mp3 or bracket and speakers for a dinghy

Good plan. An mp3 with carbon case that is also waterproof and has built in waterproof speakers.

We dont actually have to make the working bits inside. We are given those, or we can go and buy a cheap mp3 player and rip the bits out to use.

I think i might buy one of those pikey ipod nano copys you see everywhere and rearrange the buttons and screen. They are colour and can play videos i think so they cant be that bad.

Originally posted by MerlinMags

Either that or make an alarm clock radio for offshore yachts that wakes you up with a forecast, and displays the wind direction and strength instead of the time. Make 4 units that interact with each other to sync the on/off-watch times for 4 crew members.

As i have said up there ^^^, we arent making the working bits. We are designing the product but we get given certain parts or we can buy some if we want to. What you have described there seems waaaayyyyy too complicated.

MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 08 at 10:38am
Originally posted by s.a.l.t.y

We dont actually have to make the working bits inside. We are given those, or we can go and buy a cheap mp3 player and rip the bits out to use

Hmm, so really, you're only designing a new case with perhaps different buttons. I think that actually makes it harder to fit the "problem solving" agenda!

I would emphasize what has been said before, that your paperwork counts for 90% of the grade. You might even build something that doesnt work, but if you write about the process well you'll still get top marks. You need to show you conducted research, evaluated several ideas, honed the best design, examined manufacturing methods...
Ross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 08 at 11:07am

Which is stupid really. If I was an employer looking for someone to design something for me, I would want to know if they design things that work! A good grade made off good paper work is useless if your designs are useless. Sorry for the hijack but things like this irritate me. Good luck with the A Levels though!

Ross
If you can't carry it, don't sail it!
Iain C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iain C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 08 at 3:13pm

How ridiculous.  You need to make a new "alarm clock radio".  Right, how innnovative, it's...erm...a clock...which wakes you up...with a radio!  Bet you are gutted.

Oh how things have moved backwards since I did it, where's the innovation in simply redesigning what already exists?

If you really wanted to do something boaty, you could do a box of tricks to fit to your dinghy...plays music when you are out for a blast, but incorporates a race timer for race days?

RS700 GBR922 "Wirespeed"
Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"
Enterprise GBR21970
Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345