FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ben Ainslie’s Thought on Olympic Classes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Chew my RS View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Chew my RS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 08 at 9:11am

Ben's opinion matters because:

A.  He is a triple (soon to be 4x) Olympic medalist.  That gets him heard.

B. He has more experience of Olympic campaigning than almost anyone else - therefore he speaks with experience.

C.  His brother-in-law is head of the ISAF.  He has the ear of the top man.

I'm not saying that his opinion should matter more than anyone else's, but you would be naive to think it didn't.  If the ECB wanted opinion on how cricket should be organised, would they ask me or Michael Vaughan?

http://www.sailns14.org - The ultimate family raceboat now available in the UK
DiscoBall View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote DiscoBall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 08 at 11:05am
I understand what you're saying - but that's the reason that olympic sailing is in its present pickle...

Sailing never starts with a 'what would be best for presenting the sport' clean sheet.  There's always this baggage that those who competed and now administrate just want to minimise change.  If the cycling (or any other olympic 'kit' sport) was run like sailing they'd all be riding Choppers with carbon handlebars...

Ben certainly know more about olympic campaigning than anyone else, but that puts him on the inside of the goldfish bowl.  It's not the best place to judge how the sport is presented - I'd take a guess he, like many athletes sensibly avoids reading/watching the media while competing??

JimiQuik View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimiQuik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 08 at 11:19am
People in the sport like Charles Benedict Ainslie might be biased if certian ways to keep parts of the sport that meet their strengths and eliminate areas that meet there weaknesses.... Not that Charles Benedict seems to have any weakeness.

Where as people who aren't directly involved will have a better idea of what the public want to see.
k_kirk View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote k_kirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 08 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Chew my RS

B. He has more experience of Olympic campaigning than almost anyone else - therefore he speaks with experience.

I'm not saying that his opinion should matter more than anyone else's, but you would be naive to think it didn't.  If the ECB wanted opinion on how cricket should be organised, would they ask me or Michael Vaughan?

Ok. I see your point and respectfully disagree A & B are reasons making his the singlehanded opinion to be counted on. There are many others with enormous successes behind their name as well so if all were corralled and queried for their opinions then yes perhaps the process would lead somewhere.

C, I flat out refuse to believe. If the brother in law can't be trusted to make non-biased decisions and such track record can be observed by 3rd parties then perhaps he should be asked to resign. Head of an organization such as ISAF should be mature enough to avoid nepotism.

Anyways. They are out there sweating and we are here arm-chair sailing & debating. At the end of the day what they do now counts so all the best to the sailors.
Chew my RS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chew my RS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 08 at 12:36pm
Quite so.  good luck GBR.
http://www.sailns14.org - The ultimate family raceboat now available in the UK
tack'ho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tack'ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 08 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by k_kirk

Originally posted by Chew my RS

Ok. I see your point and respectfully disagree A & B are reasons making his the singlehanded opinion to be counted on. There are many others with enormous successes behind their name as well so if all were corralled and queried for their opinions then yes perhaps the process would lead somewhere.

C, I flat out refuse to believe. If the brother in law can't be trusted to make non-biased decisions and such track record can be observed by 3rd parties then perhaps he should be asked to resign. Head of an organization such as ISAF should be mature enough to avoid nepotism.

Anyways. They are out there sweating and we are here arm-chair sailing & debating. At the end of the day what they do now counts so all the best to the sailors.

Any multi national murkly funded organisation avoid bias and nepotism Ha ha ha....

Lets face it if the UN is anything to go by.....

I might be sailing it, but it's still sh**e!
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 08 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by DiscoBall

If the cycling (or any other olympic 'kit' sport) was run like sailing they'd all be riding Choppers with carbon handlebars

As I understand it, the peformance you get from recumbent type cycles vastly exceeds that of the conventional style pushbike as used in the games, so that's really pretty much what they are doing...
Lukepiewalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 08 at 5:12pm
Indeed. The cycling equipment rules are exceptionally restrictive.
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 08 at 11:03am
"Sailing never starts with a 'what would be best for presenting the sport'
clean sheet. There's always this baggage that those who competed and
now administrate just want to minimise change."

Sailing, in the UK, France and Australia anyway, is a much, much bigger
sport than most of the more spectacular sports, and the more spectacular
classes are pretty much the smallest group.

Not many people want to sail them. End of story.

If they don't inspire many current sailors to get into them, why would they
inspire newbies?

Can you tell us the location of any studies or surveys that show that
people are turned off by sailing's current image?

"Where as people who aren't directly involved will have a better idea of
what the public want to see."

How is that?

How often does Olympic sailing come up when you are talking to the
public, day to day?

Does the subject of Olympic sailing come up more often to you and me
than it does to Ainslie, who is probably talking daily to the media and at
corporate events after he gives speeches?

I have still never had a decent answer to this oft-asked question - if fast
boats are the key to improving the popularity of sailing, why are they so
much less popular all around the world, and why are they actually (in
recent years) growing more slowly than slow boats?

There was one Olympic class which was chosen by the sailors - the RSX.
It is probably the most cursed bit of kit around (or it was when I was
racing against it). Even many of those who chose it at the trials abused it
later, because
when they chose it they failed to take into account the difference between
a fragile prototype and a durable product. So the sailors' record of
choosing classes isn't all that hot.

Edited by Chris 249
Tornado_ALIVE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tornado_ALIVE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 08 at 12:35pm

When Ainslie is an expert in Multihull sailing, then I guess his opinion on that matter would be worth listening too.

Don't think for a second his comments would not have a personal agenda behind it.  If ISAF decide in the future to only have 1 x single handed dinghy and 1 x double handed dinghy and the fin looses out to the Laser, then I am sure he would not be happy about it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>