FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sorry folks...it's another 'which boat'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
tmoore View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote tmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 08 at 7:02pm

laser 8.1 -cheaper than a phantom and you wont lose any money on it when you sell it in a year(2?) depends how much money you have as i would think the phantom is a better boat. (guy at my club struggled in lasers and i would nail him in the radial (him in full). he got a new phantom and now i struggle to beat him in a blow in the rs300.

iv heard bad things about the vortex, apparently some good sailors have been out in one and got nailed. not seen one sailed though (might be worth taking this with a pinch of salt?)

Landlocked in Africa
RS300 - 410
Firefly F517 - Nutshell
Micro Magic RC yacht - Eclipse
jsa01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jsa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 08 at 8:38am
Marcus3292 - where are you based?  Wouldn't mind coming to check out the Phantom, it seems like a popular recommendation on here.
furtive View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote furtive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 08 at 9:50am
Laser 4000 is worth a look too - it will carry your weight, and weight equalisation will level things up against other boats. Not quite as fast as the aspirational 14/49er, but a good start, and cheaper as well!
timnoyce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote timnoyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 08 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Pierre

Or an Osprey ;-)

Solid choice
BEARFOOT DESIGN
Cherub 2648 - Comfortably Numb
Ross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 08 at 11:00pm
Tim, I want a go in your Ospray when it's built!
Ross
If you can't carry it, don't sail it!
Hobbo View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hobbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 08 at 1:39am

In terms of Single-handers Phantoms are pretty nice boats but quite pricy - if you're looking to move on from it in a short period of time just to get you back into sailing you can pick up an 8.1 for very little money and they aren't bad boats, although i've only sailed one twice.

For a double hander a 505/Osprey/Javelin would probably suite the bill as something fast that can take a man sized man onboard. Nearest decent sized Osprey fleet to you would be in Poole, however i have heard there are 4/5 hanging round Chichester Harbour, possibly at Mengeham Rythe where we'll be having an open meeting with the Finns next June. Thinking about it Finn may be a good choice for your size as there is a decent fleet at Mengeham.

Noycey are you gonna have your boat ready for Blithfield at the end of April? Tis the only open meeting i'm doing before I leave for Menorca, would be good to have you there. Thinking bout organising a night out for us young 'uns in the nearest proper town for the friday night, dunno where that is yet, i'll ask a local mate. What rig/sails you gonna have?

Contender GBR 362
Osprey 1318 - IVplay
SSC
timnoyce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote timnoyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 08 at 7:10am
just to save a thread hijack i've started a new thread for ospreys!
BEARFOOT DESIGN
Cherub 2648 - Comfortably Numb
Rob.e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob.e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 08 at 9:07am
I've been down to Emsworth to walk the dog whilst the Hare and Hounds has been on, and of the boats mentioned, there are a couple of 400s at least, a good (and growing) fleet of 300s, which have done well enough that their results refer to them as "those pesky 300s", and at least one Osprey, so I would think any of them are worth looking at if that's where your sailing. Obviously I am biased to the RSs, but Ospreys have always had a presence in Chichester harbour, presumably cos of Ian Porter. The other thing to consider in Chi Harbour is that Mengham has one of the most (the most?) active Finn fleets in the country: well worth a look, it's a nice club!
Charlie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 08 at 11:44am

JSA01, where are you based, if you want a go in a Finn i know plenty of people in chichester harbour that would get you out on the water with one to try, they're down in bosham which unlike mengham can sail no matter what the tide lol and are trying to boost their Finn numbers atm.

Finn GBR 657 - Blown It
Laser 164635
Planet Earth: 30% Land, 70% race course!
Black no sugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Black no sugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 08 at 12:14pm

Originally posted by Charlie

JSA01, where are you based, if you want a go in a Finn i know plenty of people in chichester harbour that would get you out on the water with one to try, they're down in bosham which unlike mengham can sail no matter what the tide lol and are trying to boost their Finn numbers atm.

.......... and breathe ...............

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>