FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

22.2knots in an Albacore

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Neal_g View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Neal_g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 07 at 7:15pm

I have solved this issue of albacore master boat speed obviously the boat has been race prepared nicely wet and dried but i could easily hit 22 knots in most boats in the right conditions

the problem all the cherubs have had is inland sailing quite cleary your never going to get any speed up at all on a lake due to the lack of surfing style waves and the biggy favourable tide blast through plas menai on a ripping spring tide 6-7 knots favourable tide all you got to get is a comfortable 15-16 knots of boat speed and hey presto badda boom 22 knots on ya GPS

(Redoubt Sc)
Miracle 4040
GP14 13407

Crewsaver phase 2 range now available to buy online on at http://www.gibsonsails.com
craiggo View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 07 at 10:02pm
Or it could have been on the River Severn. I managed 6.5kts sideways underneath the old Severn Bridge, with bare poles in 5kts of breeze in a Hanse 300 in the summer, with sails up that would have been well over 12kts in a 29ft cruiser on the GPS. A bit of a breeze and a few waves in the mix and your Albacore could pop 20kts. Fast boats in a blow the old Albacore !
andy_cherub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote andy_cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 07 at 9:04am
Haha, ive sailed on the sea my entire life. I know Albacores can stonk along and become like a weapon in the big stuff, even tho it lacks what most other boats have in this speed, a spinnaker. But unless you had some HUGE fast cat ferry waves and a monsterous ripping tide. Seriously, 22 knots in an albacore?!?! If he really did it fair play, id like to see this boat, is it uber light, wings, trapeze maybe
-12ft skiff, Team 'CST Composites'
-Many thanks goes out to all of my sponsors.
Ignore my user name, my views are of a 12ft skiff
timnoyce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote timnoyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 07 at 9:13am
It's an 18 foot skiff sponsored by a company called 'Albacore'... someone must have just got confused somewhere along the line!
BEARFOOT DESIGN
Cherub 2648 - Comfortably Numb
Fin. View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fin. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 07 at 9:53am

From the Albacore class website....    (definitely not a 18footer).

http://www.albacore.org.uk/results/2007/internationals2007.h tm

Looks it as if the Albacore's almost had  several contenders for the speed-freaks.  Guess it must have been windy F5-6 etc...! 

good on them.

...Been great reading this discussion... some great comments/opinions!!

- just because, its not got  trapeezes and not made of carbon and doesn't have an assymetric kite, it doesn't mean it's no good/fast (i.e.  skiffers).  

/fin

PS - I am a skiffer as well.

Post Options Post Options   Quote andy_cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 07 at 10:12am
haha, i was only kidding about the trapeze/ carbon stuff! really must learn sarcasm donest work over this!

Post Options Post Options   Quote andy_cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 07 at 10:15am
Ok I retract my previous statements, just read that link!! FAIR PLAY!!!  
Fin. View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fin. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 07 at 10:25am

Andy - to be fair, I am relatively new to skiff  - been messing around on a 5000 this  summer - so don't take my crticisms too seriously!

In a blow, at the moment  I think I'd  prefer the Albacore -  spent some very wet days this year being blown to bits on the L5K (it was : F4-5 gusting F6!).  may be not the  best training conditions!

fin

MpHarris View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote MpHarris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 07 at 10:34am

Without putting a dampner on things, as was mentioned in the other post about the blaze at bala, surely this just means there was a blip in the GPS in the area rather than the boat hitting these speeds.  Especially as all of the high speeds were in the same place over a relatively short amount of time.

Cherub 2663 "Sweet Dreams"
RS400 451 "IceBerg"
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 07 at 11:46am
confirms what many of us have known for some time, 1066 is wayyyyyy to generous a PY for the Albi   - by the way skiffies, don't get all condescending about this, if you think light weight and massive rags are the way forward, get out there and prove it!
Feeling sorry for vegans since it became the latest fad to claim you are one
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>