FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Deffinition of a skiff..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
aardvark_issues View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote aardvark_issues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 07 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Strawberry

Dear Chris

Where does a UK Cherub fit into your chart?

Main + Jib = 15.5sqm
Kite = 21sqm
Rigged Weight = 60kg
Crew Weight = 130kg
Length = 3.7m
Righting moment = same as a 12 and R Class???

Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 07 at 7:59pm
R's don't have a max beam rule only Min @ 1.4m.
Skiffybob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Skiffybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 07 at 8:25pm

Rigged weight 60Kg?

I assume you're not talking about Strawberry there Stu, by back still hurts!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 07 at 8:28pm
its times like these i turn to the almighty google for an answer.

definition of a skiff: any of various small boats propelled by oars or by sails or by a motor

bummer
Chas 505 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chas 505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 07 at 6:09pm

I thought that originally a Skiff was a "simply " constructed light boat.

By that I mean that the more "fluted" designs that appeared during the early/mid 1900's (flying fifteen et al), were seen as developments away from a simple shape that dug in and didn't glide through the water..... in short was a pig to sail.

Of course, all that ceased to be relevant once the boats could take enough power to premote planing all the way upwind - something in here about evolving back to where it started..!

By that measure, most of the SMOD designs perporting to be "skiffs" - in fact arn't.....they are better than that, they have "dinghy like bow sections, with skiff-like planing sections......

actually I'm bored of this too....!!!

Life is too short.
Work Hard; Play Hard; Sail a 505
Lukepiewalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 07 at 8:13pm
Has anyone got a bargepole I can borrow not to touch this thread with....
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 07 at 9:18am
All we ever seem to talk about on this forum is "skiff" this and "Skiff" that, my Skiff is faster then your skiff Bla bla bloody bla, or how crp lasers and SMOD's are.  Now i know i'm guilty of it probably more then most, but does it really matter, most people who talk about skiffs dont sail one themselves!  Yeah Lasers are crap but so Crap they are brilliant.  A skiff is an Ausie term i think, a 14 and a cherub would be described as a skiff, but in humble old Britain they are just another Dinghy
tickler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tickler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 07 at 10:01am
In My Humble Opinion "skiff" is defined bu the word. "Ski" as in sliding allong and "ff" as in f*** f***. If you sail a Javelin, py 926 and a Tasar 1023 you sure as hell know which one fits the definition, so it is not neccessarily speed. Was the Tasar the first Single Make One Design little bit Skiffy? Mind you Uffa Fox is credited with the first planing hulls in the 1930's.
Black no sugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Black no sugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 07 at 10:16am

Clap That's a definition I can sympathise with and makes me think that, despite earlier denegations, a Contender IS a skiff, at least mine:
the cockpit is wonderfully glassy smooth, with just a hint of sandy gelcoat judiciously placed where i don't put my feet. So, according to Tickler's theory, when I come off the trapeze and start skyting aboot in my boat, I could add the magic ingredient "F*** F***!" and turn it into a SKI F*** F***

I like that...

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 07 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by tickler

Mind you Uffa Fox is credited with the first planing hulls in the 1930's.

Uffa seems to have been the first person to deliberately design a boat with the intention of making it plane, but quite a few boats could and did plane before that, especially in extreme conditions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>