FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MX Ray or Laser

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
hollandsd View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote hollandsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 07 at 11:02pm

A moth wouldnt really be suitable off of the sailing club where i sail, it wouldnt last a season, it gets verry rough in any wind in most wind directions and i thinkg it would be impossible to launch it,

An RS 300 is out of the question because of the cost.

Chris Noble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris Noble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 07 at 11:41pm

wot about something like a 600, pretty cheao and a lot of boat for your money these days

Competitive Boat Insurance From Noble Marine

FOR SALE:

I14 2 Masts 2 poles 3 Booms, Foils Kites/Mains/Jibs too many to list.
Isis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 07 at 12:53am

Get in fast if your after a 600 though... exceptional value this time last year but prices are on the rise at the moment with a big boost in popularity.

hollandsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hollandsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 07 at 8:04am

I woyuldnt imagine i would be able to get a 600 under 1000

If i cant get it for about 650 -750 its out of my price range.

Charlie View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 07 at 9:55am
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F130071/

nothing to do with me, but for 550 you gonna get some thrills for your money

Finn GBR 657 - Blown It
Laser 164635
Planet Earth: 30% Land, 70% race course!
Chris Noble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris Noble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 07 at 10:23am

looks like a fairly god example to be honest, there are a fair few older moths about you could even get a wider one and it WILL be able to take some rough seas and it will be well within your price range. If you like the look of the 300 then why not, after all the 300 was designed and its construction was overseen by one of the builders responsible for some very succesful wider moths hence the very very very similar under water sections on the 300 as some of ther wide moths around. A wider moth will go pretty quick aswell, quicker than a laser and its going to have a better rig than the MX Ray. And if you really wanted you could stcik an assymetric on it, it wont be class legal but if your just wanting a boat for blasting around in then why the hell not.

Competitive Boat Insurance From Noble Marine

FOR SALE:

I14 2 Masts 2 poles 3 Booms, Foils Kites/Mains/Jibs too many to list.
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 07 at 8:37pm
Isis i would recomend the ok yeah, i used to own a 14 and i now sail an ok, i also crew in a boss.  I did see that purple moth and thought chep fun, but im far to fat and un-nimble!!!
blaze720 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote blaze720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 07 at 8:49pm
Let's get real - the call is for something for high winds occasionally and just 650 - its got to be a Laser therfore .  If he wants to try out something a bit more challenging he's got time to try loads of them and when he finally starts paying tax and can afford something a bit more exciting he'll know what options exist.  Old 300 or 600's need a half-decent sail on them - that's blown his budget in one !  If he gets a Laser Mr Rooster can sort him out for relative peanuts if he get club competitive. I'd love to give him a go in a Blaze but being realistic that's 2+k and more so go for the Laser option its the only one that makes sense ,,,, for now !

Blaze 720
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 07 at 9:18am
Am i not right in thinking that 650 for a laser is going to be an old dog.  Lets also reflect on a previous thread regarding laser sails, bearing in mind he is on a budget, sail at 400 for an arse flannel is rubbish.  Rooster sails are a good training sail, but my club wouldnt allow them for racing. 
chic View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote chic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 07 at 10:02am

You can be lucky with old Lasers but 650 isn't much of a budget. Check that the deck doesn't have any soft spots and that the mast step isn't disintegrating; not good in a blow.

Originally posted by Merlinboy

Rooster sails are a good training sail, but my club wouldnt allow them for racing. 

I can't see any real difference between the Rooster copy and the real thing apart from the heavy sub that you have to pay Laser. Does your club really want to support that?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>