FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Towing a dinghy for the first time?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Webmuppet View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Webmuppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing a dinghy for the first time?
    Posted: 11 Jan 07 at 11:45am

Forumites, I could use some advice on choosing a car to tow an RS Vareo. I quite fancy doing some open meetings however Iíve never done any towing before. Iíve done a little research and found that my current car ( a Honda Jazz 1.2) has an Ďun-brakedí towing capacity of 450kg. I donít suppose that the Vareo on its combi would weigh more than 250kg so I guess that it would be feasible to use the Jazz if I were to get it fitted with a tow-bar. I am looking to change my car anyway and I was considering something with 1.4 litre engine, can I get away with such a small car ?ÖÖ.any advice would be appreciated 

Many thanks in advance 

Nigel

P.S. By way of entertainment, what is the most ridiculous vehicle that you've seen used to tow a dinghy (please don't say a Honda Jazz towing a Vareo !)

I am the milkman of human kindness, I will leave an extra pint (Billy Bragg)

Graduate 2530 'Galaxy'
tornado435 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote tornado435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 07 at 12:19pm
I used to tow my hurricane 5.9 behind a 1.1 litre fiesta. getting it going wasn't the problem it was stopping it!!!! 
gary View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 07 at 12:24pm

Virtually whatever car you have you won't notice it on there!! 

Take care on those roundabouts

jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 07 at 12:24pm
Hi Webmuppet,

I have towed both a scorpion and a Fireball (not at the same time) with a 206 SW 1.4 petrol. I was ok as long as there were not any long hills.

The only thing to remember about towing something as light as a dinghy is that you can often forget it is there.

Do make sure you do all the usual checks on the trailer before you set off though:

1) Check bearings run smoothly

2) Check tyres on the road trailer are inflated and the tyres have not perished

3) Check your safety wire on the trailer is still firmly secured

4) Check the hitch is not seized

5) Check the boat is tied down securely and cannot move independantly of the trolley/road base (ratchet straps are good but dont over tighten them)

6) Check all the lights are working on your trailer board and do make sure you have the correct number plate, they boys in blue get very anal about this!

Just my 2p.... I am sure you will get other words of wisdom.

I would reckon the Jazz will be fine if a little lightweight for towing the Vareo but it should be well withing the weight limit.

Paul

Edited by jeffers
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 07 at 12:26pm
I've heard of a National 12 being towed behind motorcycle and side car back in the 1950s...
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 07 at 2:16pm
as a car salesman i spose i'm qualified to answer this, and the answer is that as long as you dont break the towing weight unbraked you should be fine, even 1.1's are powerfull enough to pull a dinghy my brother has towed 2 albacores on a double stacker in his 306 1.4, i wouldnt recomend it to be honest that was a little sketchy.
English Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote English Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 07 at 2:28pm

Stolen from another thread. I think the photo's the right way up!

English Dave
Ballyholme Yacht Club

(You'd think I'd be better at it by now)

Hurricane 5.9 SX
RS700
Isis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 07 at 3:24pm
Looks impressive but its only 36kg so no wayfarer..
Canvey Pirate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Canvey Pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 07 at 4:05pm

Towed 2 Hurricanes stacked from Canvey to a many an open meeting in a Audi A4. Had to sell the car in the end, as I was getting oil into the water which was the result from racing up the hill on the A3 to Stokes bay open meeting some years ago.

Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 07 at 4:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>