FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crazy, but did it anyway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 06 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by bovlike

Boats that could be built super light using modern materials versus their original weight vs power ratio

All of them!
bovlike View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote bovlike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 06 at 10:13pm

sorry I did not wright that getafix did I just used copy and paste from his post. I was saying that the 505 is made out of carbon so he would strugle to make that lighter than it is.

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 06 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by bovlike

I was saying that the 505 is made out of carbon so he would strugle to make that lighter than it is.

Actually you can and people used to make a down to weight 505 out of wood or even uncored glass.
bovlike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bovlike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 06 at 10:16pm

arr I have found the Quote button

Originally posted by getafix

Boats that could be built super light using modern materials versus their original weight vs power ratio: Osprey, Hornet, Fireball, 505, Solo(!), Blaze X, ISO, Buzz, Boss, L5000, L4000, L2000, RS400, RS200 ... you could go on a long time

One boat I always thought was right for a bit of garage customisation was the N12, now if you took a bigger stick, higher aspect upwind sails (think i14/49er) and big assy plus added nice wide hiking racks (B14 style) then I think you might be on a winner, have to go for a shute for the kite so perhaps a foredeck-less design might be best 'donor' to start with (no way would you want to get as far forward as a bag for launching!)

T-foil rudder might help in the nose dive/pitching dept and would probably need to bond in some foam bouyancy as dodging the bags as you run across rack-to-rack might be a bit of an obstacle course.  May as well go for a dagger bd as well for good measure.

Basically a big rig, 12ft, lightweight B14 with raking rig......

bovlike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bovlike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 06 at 10:18pm
you could take all the lead out of them that would help! not sure how much the new ovington one's have in them but I am sure it is a lot
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234