FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sensible boats?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Medway Maniac View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sensible boats?
    Posted: 10 Jul 06 at 1:22pm

We had a windy day yesterday at the Medway Regatta - 19mph in the morning and 29 in the afternoon. Racing continued for the Wayfarers, Miracles, Laser X000 classes, Osprey, Contender and even Canoes, all the ‘traditional’ classes in fact, plus a few of the more modest new ones. But conspicuously still in the boat park were the 3, 6 & 800’s and the MPS.

It’s not the first time it’s happened and one of the visiting 300 sailors, who’d previously been maybe the best sailor at Wilsonian, told me that at his new club he felt a lot of sailors had moved into classes that tested them to the extent that they eventually gave up sailing after too many ‘disappointments’.

Sure, there are the Stenhouses who have mastered their MPS’s, but very few of us are prepared to put in the time and practice required to reach that level, and seeing such guys sail must make the rest of their classmates feel very mortal.

Which brought me to thinking, would you really want a boat where you arrive at the club each week looking around to see if it’s not too windy to sail without breaking yourself or your boat? It must bring you down, make you question your ability and threaten your ego? Yet in the quest for speed, many of us have talked ourselves into boats that are beyond our present ability, and indeed beyond the ability we are likely to work up to. Must be tricky too, to be seen later stepping back into a class that, in the first flush off, say, skiffing, we described as ‘boring’...

jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 06 at 1:49pm
We had 1 Phantom out yesterday, he spent a lot of time swimming while just about all other classes had a whale of a time.

It is quite well known at our club for there to only be a few Lasers out when it is really howling whilst everyone else watches from the shore.

I do think there are those people who have gone for a class that is perhaps not suited to them having seen a class expert make it look oh so easy in the wind.

There are a lot of people out there who would benefit from choosing the best suited class for them as opposed to going for the fastest boat.

Yesetdray we had a steady F5/6 gusting 7. I crewed a Fireball (no kite, we were crossing the lake in 40 seconds without it) as well as sailing the Blaze. Both were an absilute scream and I would sail them both in that wind again. I would not however ail a Laser in that wind, they are just too twitchy.

The Phantom boys tend to look out and look worried in anything over an F4....
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
fizzicist View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote fizzicist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 06 at 1:55pm

Nah - it's a challenge and its there to be mastered.

Like many things in life, you shouldn't avoid doing something just because its difficult. The feeling you get when you acheive something which looked impossible at first is an awesome one, and one which you should try to experience as often as possible in life.

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and
oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital
ingredient in beer.
Guest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 06 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by fizzicist

Nah - it's a challenge and its there to be mastered.

Like many things in life, you shouldn't avoid doing something just because its difficult. The feeling you get when you acheive something which looked impossible at first is an awesome one, and one which you should try to experience as often as possible in life.

I agree - also with bigger sails you have more fun in the ligher stuff

Rick

BTW - You shouldn't worry what other people think - just do your own thing ...

feva_sailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote feva_sailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 06 at 3:05pm
we wernt alowed to go out when it was blowing 25 gusting 28 knots in a feva and we are 150kg all up not fair
Calum_Reid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Calum_Reid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 06 at 3:21pm
You will only learn if you challange yourself. This might mean spending alot of time swimming but he thats part of sailing. I would say i learnt more in one afternoon out in my laser when it was blowing a f6 and we had HUGE waves than i did in a few weeks of sailing in f4. I have then applyed what i learnt in these conditions to the more moderate conditions and would say i sail better because of it. I would also say I learnt alot sailing a 300 for a few hours.

At our club yes sometimes only one guy will go out and sail if its really blowing but we have had 600's go out and sail arround in a f6 and enjoy it.

You only learn by doing so get out there, swim abit but learn learn learn.
mike ellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mike ellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 06 at 5:33pm
when its realy blowing at my club (like yesterday) it is only a few of the realy good laser sailors and us in the feva that go out, this is not because there is a lot of "silly" classes here, more because we are the people that will go out regulearly and learn from it. but when its lighter we do ocasionaly see a mussy or 800 ocaisonaly a 49er if they're feeling realy brave but most of the time its mirrors and lasers that regularly sail here (with one feva in amongst it somwhere)
600 732, will call it Sticks and Stones when i get round to it.
Also International 14, 1318
m_liddell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote m_liddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 06 at 5:38pm

I have this with my 14, anything F5 or above and she staying in the boatpark. Spending all your time wiping out and making lots of work for the guys on safety is a bit irresponsible and an accident waiting to happen. Start small and build up.

I think a big part of the problem is safety cover. At most clubs if you don't race then you will be sailing with no safety cover at all which is not exactly conducive to learning how to sail a high performance boat when it's windy. A lot of people who do safety don't sail high performance boats and are clueless when it comes to helping one in difficulties.

In an ideal world I'd have a high wind 'easy' boat and a more challenging boat I'm still learning to keep upright!

Edited by m_liddell
mike ellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mike ellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 06 at 5:42pm

is this thread about sensible boats or about sensible sailors? theres not realy been much examples of sensible or silly boats yet, more just when people think they can sail.

600 732, will call it Sticks and Stones when i get round to it.
Also International 14, 1318
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 06 at 5:52pm

The title was just of the top of my head. I think m_liddell is most 'on topic' (as intended!) so far.

But when Rick says "with bigger sails you have more fun in the lighter stuff", I can only observe that I'd have thought it's more embarassment than fun that you experience when a good Wayfarer slips past your skiffy thing in the light stuff. Well, OK not normally 'slips past' but is at least, 'irritiatingly close'...

These tricky boats actually seem to be no good at either end of the scale (unless you're Stenhouse) - they have a narrow F3-4 window when they fly, the rest of the time you hear 'no point going out today' - is that fun?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>