FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another club closure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 49>
Author
sarg boland View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote sarg boland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 22 at 10:50am
Plenty of  cruising on the Norfolk Broads.  Yesterday met 5 Solos on a morning cruise - all from Hickling Broad SC and there were other people getting dinghies (Wayfarers) and small cruisers ready.  It was a glorious day with a moderate breeze and the Broads were at their very best.  The Marsh Harriers were also offering spectacular aerobatics. 
Fair winds
eric_c View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote eric_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 22 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Grumpycat

[QUOTE=eric_c]
Events would seem to suggest that many 10s of 1000s of people living near the club in question are not  exactly enthusiastic about sailing there.

I've done my share of racing on such water, and the only way it can be any good is class racing with a reasonable fleet of fairly matched boats. Maybe team racing.

Beyond racing, it may be a good place to learn to sail, but once you are competent, you can hardly 'cruise' very far.

Just putting a question out there , taking out the large Scottish lochs and the the big lakes in the Lake District. Does anyone ever join a inland club to cruise ? 
[/QUOTE

People used to. back when I was a kid in the late 60s ad 70s, I recall lots of people sailing and not racing.  Perhaps a bit like people paddle boards and sit-on kayaks now and have zero interest in competing? Did that die before windsurfing came along? Or did boards take that market?  Also of course a lot of people took their non-competitive sailing into yachts.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 22 at 1:11pm
I hardly ever just go for a sail at my inland club but I'm in Anglesey and off for a blast with a fellow Blaze sailor in half an hour (raining, F5-6, 13ļC). It looks pretty flat but I'm sure there will be some small lumps to get surfing on  Big smile

I agree with davidyacht's comment on the other thread that "the quality of the racing and the camaraderie of the club are IMO far more important than the salinity of the water"
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
The Moo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Moo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 22 at 5:32pm

Originally posted by eric_c

Events would seem to suggest that many 10s of 1000s of people living near the club in question are not† exactly enthusiastic about sailing there.
I've done my share of racing on such water, and the only way it can be any good is class racing with a reasonable fleet of fairly matched boats. Maybe team racing.
Beyond racing, it may be a good place to learn to sail, but once you are competent, you can hardly 'cruise' very far.

Just putting a question out there , taking out the large Scottish lochs and the the big lakes in the Lake District. Does anyone ever join a inland club to cruise ?†

It is amazing to see how times have changed. When I joined our puddle club as a teenager with my parents (my 64th birthday today 🥂) on a Saturday afternoons the water would be full of people in boats who had no desire whatsover to race..a completely different crowd to those who rocked up for competitive sailing on a Sunday.

Nowadays the Saturday afternoon sailors (in vastly reduced numbers) are in the main Sunday competitors getting a bit of extra curricular practice.
A2Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote A2Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 22 at 8:14pm

Just putting a question out there , taking out the large Scottish lochs and the the big lakes in the Lake District. Does anyone ever join a inland club to cruise ? 
My inland club has about 500 members of which probably not more than 100 or so do any racing. So I guess thatís 400 in it for the cruising. And thatís a very long way from Scotland!
eric_c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote eric_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 22 at 9:13am
Originally posted by A2Z

My inland club has about 500 members of which probably not more than 100 or so do any racing. So I guess thatís 400 in it for the cruising. And thatís a very long way from Scotland!

Or several hundrd who don't do much sailing?
A2Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote A2Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 22 at 9:44am
Originally posted by eric_c

Originally posted by A2Z

Or several hundrd who don't do much sailing?
No - the 60 odd Wayfarers never race but are regularly out mid week.  The Quests, Ents, Topaz, Challengers, Oppies, Toppers, wineglass, Leaders, Miracles etc are out in force on a Saturday.  Believe it or not, most club members do not race but still enjoy sailing around a lake in an AONB and donít find it ďrubbishĒ.  
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 22 at 10:52am
With the greatest respect to the club in question, AONB wouldn't exactly be a good description... however the wind bend off the Morrison's Car Park was a natty local secret in a Northerly.
Grumpycat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grumpycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 22 at 11:00am
A2Z Did anyone say cruising or sailing just for fun was rubbish ? I must of missed that .
Even I have been known to take the D-Zero out for a spin on a Saturday afternoon blast occasionally and as we only sail on 8 acres itís not like I donít know every cm of the pond . But to be honest if that was my only sailing experience it would soon get very boring. It would  be different if I sailed at a larger water like Draycote or even Shustoke/Cotswold/South Cerney etc  type size. 
At the end of the day, sailing is a very big cake and we can all decide how big a slice of that cake we want to experience and enjoy . Smile

Edited by Grumpycat - 07 May 22 at 11:15am
D-zero
Ex Laser x2
Ex British Moth x4
Ex Lightning 368
Ex Supernova
eric_c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote eric_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 22 at 11:28am
When it comes to asking about levels of 'activity' at a club, starters in races is something you can measure, it's on most clubs' websites . Participation in organised training is less public, but again something that can be found out.  Boats out sailing casually are much harder to quantify, but I've often found  clubs to be pretty quiet when there's no racing or formal training going on. So many boats only afloat a dozen times a year or less.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 49>