FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another club closure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 49>
Author
turnturtle View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 22 at 1:45pm

Lol - yep, but my point is that mates going on disparate craft can be both competitive and provide a sense of well being.... in my (isolated?) opinion that's only ruined when, either:

a) someone tries to turn it into formal racing with a set of arbitrary numbers and timing

b) well, go watch Jaws 2 ...†

Edited by turnturtle - 16 May 22 at 1:47pm
Grumpycat View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grumpycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 22 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by eric_c

Originally posted by Grumpycat

I see no sign of either of these two things happening  at my local clubs or at clubs I visit while doing opens . 

Over the years, I've seen a few clubs overly influenced by paid staff and catering interests. A slippery slope to high overheads.

I agree totally on this points , see my comment/concerns about clubs like Draycote and Northampton and even grafham who have large numbers of members but are struggle because of high overheads, ie paid staff/ high rents etc.
But I have seen no sign, in the last 20 years , over other clubs wanting to change to this method of operation. That was my point . Smile

D-zero
Ex Laser x2
Ex British Moth x4
Ex Lightning 368
Ex Supernova
Grumpycat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grumpycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 22 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Sussex Lad

The monoculture and fixed beliefs/belief systems within sailing generally are the very things that thwart any ability to adapt.........those qualities are also what many folk within the sport find comforting.

Attempting to achieve broader appeal is not what most of you want. Some of you have said that explicitly others have inferred it. In that respect sailing will remain "exclusive" in the real meaning of the word IMO. Fair enough, it provides structure and remains predictable in an otherwise scary world. 

As I said earlier, clubs vary in attitude and vibe. Those that can steer clear of the old school way of doing things will always have broader appeal......if.....they can get folk through the door.

It would seem that commercial centres can do this to some degree. Regardless of what we may think about big business involvement in our leisure centres, business is infinitely adaptable if the bottom line dictates. They have no interest in exclusivity.

I suppose the fantasy club setup could be a volunteer/family run club that looks like a commercial one.

Achieving broader appeal as things stand is not going to happen, it ain't wanted.

I really think your reading your own view on to other peoples comments. And in all the clubs I have ever been a member of, have I ever seen those views expressed in words of actions. 

Edited by Grumpycat - 16 May 22 at 1:55pm
D-zero
Ex Laser x2
Ex British Moth x4
Ex Lightning 368
Ex Supernova
Grumpycat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grumpycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 22 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by maxibuddah

Originally posted by turnturtle

Originally posted by Do Different

Who are selling it to, competitive "Strava time" types or the mindfulness and well being set? 

you can be both - given the mental health benefits of mountain biking, why not dinghy sailing?

this was this weekend:

It might be a bit of a struggle to get a boat up there

Itís fine just use an engine , itís looks they were #e-bikes  LOL
D-zero
Ex Laser x2
Ex British Moth x4
Ex Lightning 368
Ex Supernova
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 22 at 2:05pm
Yes TT, likewise I've been enjoying XC MTB for my own fitness and wellbeing. You'd think sailing could be the same and then somebody starts banging on about running start racing courses. I don't mind a bit of racing and occasionally I get to the top mark in the first two or three, my enjoyment of a day on the water far from relies on racing though. As you said earlier above all I enjoy getting lost in the motion and experience, probably the reason I rarely hold my position in the first two or three far into a race . LOL

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 22 at 2:24pm
Haha - sounds familiar!!!

And No Duncan - theyíre not eBikes, we were bike packing, eBikes tend to run out of juice for Day 2

Grumpycat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grumpycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 22 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by turnturtle

Haha - sounds familiar!!!

And No Duncan - theyíre not eBikes, we were bike packing, eBikes tend to run out of juice for Day 2

Only joking tt, I could tell they werenít ebikes by the rear hub.  Wink .

More power to you for getting on out there and riding. Unlike me , Iíve gone from riding 2 to 3 times a week when I was working to not riding at all now Iíve retired and have all the time in the world. Iíve really lost the love for it, perhaps Iím the one that needs the e bike  LOL LOL
D-zero
Ex Laser x2
Ex British Moth x4
Ex Lightning 368
Ex Supernova

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 22 at 3:12pm
Get one, I have oneÖ I spent my Laser fund on it, thanks to a mutual acquaintance.

Far more fun than having my arse handed to me by the local laser fleet Ö all of whom are radial size really, therefore clearly cheating 🤪
eric_c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote eric_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 22 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Do Different

Yes TT, likewise I've been enjoying XC MTB for my own fitness and wellbeing. You'd think sailing could be the same and then somebody starts banging on about running start racing courses. I don't mind a bit of racing and occasionally I get to the top mark in the first two or three, my enjoyment of a day on the water far from relies on racing though. As you said earlier above all I enjoy getting lost in the motion and experience, probably the reason I rarely hold my position in the first two or three far into a race . LOL

Sailing n the sea for adventure and wellbeing and all that is good, I hope to be out tomorrow in something about 30ft. Sailing around a 50acre pond in middle England in force 3 or less holds zero appeal unless there's racing or some reasonable teaching/training objective. It would be like riding that mountain bike around a flat car park. Slowly. There's absolutely nothing stopping people doing loads more non-racing dinghy sailing, apart from the fact they're not interested. Likewise, I enjoy riding bikes, I have a mountain bike and a gravel bike and a 1000cc bike and I have no interest in any form of competitive behaviour on any of them.
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 22 at 3:46pm
Fortunately my 20 minute club is 2500 acres not 50 and I can return to my N Sea roots in 75 minutes. Pretty much everyone Iíve met at three clubs over 30 years beginning as a young middle aged has welcomed an ordinary bloke to the mutual interest in simply sailing.  edited for phone typos.

Edited by Do Different - 16 May 22 at 4:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 49>