FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Old club classes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
davidyacht View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 22 at 11:16am
Back in the day, when a student at Southampton Institute, we had to design and build sailing boats for a race off at the Gosport model boat lake.  No radio controls, no moving rudders.  The boat had to do upwind, reaching and running legs.  I went for a two mast/sail option which balanced beautifully on all points of sail, just had to trim the sheets appropriately.  The French guys turned up with kites to attach to their hulls entertaining but not as effective!
Happily living in the past
eric_c View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote eric_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 22 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Mozzy

There is a mizzen on the in laws day boat. It completely gets rid of lee helm upwind. Of course, it's a bit of an air break, like sailing with lee helm is a water break. So I doubt it's any faster with it up, but it does make the boat nicer to sail. 
As I understand it, it is possible  to make a multi-mast rig actually self steer upwind or on a reach. Not just balanced, so it keeps going where it's pointed, but actively self-correcting if it gets knocked off course by a wave or the wind shifts. I refer those interested to the AYRS book on self steering, as I'm sure I'd make a hash of explaining it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345