FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What percentage of Clubs in the country run ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
The Moo View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote The Moo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 22 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Grumpycat

In my thirty years of sailing of sailing I have been a member of four clubs . Warwick sc , redditch sc , shustoke sc and Leamington spa sailing club. None have done class starts as such, but some have taken class results out of handicap resuilts. Three of these clubs have raced mostly pursuits which makes the races easier to run for the duty crew and makes it easier to get class results out of the overall results.†

If memory serves me right, Class racing died at Leamington Spa by the end of the 70s early 80s ( and even then was only ever part of what we did) and we have never looked back.

Personally, I would prefer to race against everyone in the Club, and not just a few who sail my preferred weapon of choice....but each to their own.
A2Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote A2Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 22 at 10:18pm
At Chew Valley there are class starts for Laser, Solo and Fifteens, and handicap racing for anything else, which usually involves a good number of 200s and, more recently, 100s too.  
Grumpycat View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grumpycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 22 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by The Moo

Originally posted by Grumpycat

In my thirty years of sailing of sailing I have been a member of four clubs . Warwick sc , redditch sc , shustoke sc and Leamington spa sailing club. None have done class starts as such, but some have taken class results out of handicap resuilts. Three of these clubs have raced mostly pursuits which makes the races easier to run for the duty crew and makes it easier to get class results out of the overall results. 

If memory serves me right, Class racing died at Leamington Spa by the end of the 70s early 80s ( and even then was only ever part of what we did) and we have never looked back.

Personally, I would prefer to race against everyone in the Club, and not just a few who sail my preferred weapon of choice....but each to their own.

You old f@@ker LOLI didnít even start sailing until 1989/90  Wink
D-zero
Ex Laser x2
Ex British Moth x4
Ex Lightning 368
Ex Supernova
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 22 at 11:13am
The upside of class racing at club level is that you are, obviously, all sailing the same boat, the downside is small fleet sizes and, often, an established hierarchy with the same couple of people winning most of the time. Hard to beat class racing in a decent size fleet though.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 22 at 12:35pm
I have searched a couple of class racing clubs, such as Looe for instance, they have four classes, Red wings (which was designed specifically for them), Enterprise etc. Some other class only clubs have mixed class races, but only with the allowed clubs classes , other clubs with large single class fleets, also have large handicap fleets of any class, handicap clubs are the most numerous by a very large percentage.

Edited by 423zero - 03 Apr 22 at 2:33pm
Robert
fudheid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fudheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 22 at 9:47am
i think waldringfield is only class starts, they added the RS200 a few years back as it was switched to from lark sailors...
i don't think they have any handicap racing apart from yachts...
Cheers you

only me from over the sea......
GybeFunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GybeFunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 22 at 9:55am
Wembley SC is another that does NOT have a handicap fleet so I think that makes 3 clubs so far listed in this thread!
eric_c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote eric_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 22 at 10:10am
What about european clubs?
Mostly seen class racing over there.
NicolaJayne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote NicolaJayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 22 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

The upside of class racing at club level is that you are, obviously, all sailing the same boat, the downside is small fleet sizes and, often, an established hierarchy with the same couple of people winning most of the time. Hard to beat class racing in a decent size fleet though.

which is why  running  a personal handicap series  in parallel with any handicap series  is good - as it usually means the most improved  sailors  get soem of the silverware   -   there are other   things you can do - but the rise of the single hander   vs  2 person boats means  having a series  which is designed to encourage  crews to helm  and vice versa is less ofa thing than  it one might have been 
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 22 at 10:43am
While anticipating that this will simply become (another) PY-bashing thread, I believe Itchenor SC, HISC and maybe Stokes Bay or Netley offer class starts for some of their more popular, with Itchenor having supported classes (i.e. discouraging membership from all but those) ... but it is some time since I looked.  In areas with lots of clubs, which is quite a few places on the south coast, it makes sense for some clubs to have limited classes, there is always choice then; go to those if you want OD racing or go to the others if you don't.
Feeling sorry for vegans since it became the latest fad to claim you are one
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>