FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What percentage of Clubs in the country run ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Grumpycat View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Grumpycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 22 at 9:08pm
In my thirty years of sailing of sailing I have been a member of four clubs . Warwick sc , redditch sc , shustoke sc and Leamington spa sailing club. None have done class starts as such, but some have taken class results out of handicap resuilts. Three of these clubs have raced mostly pursuits which makes the races easier to run for the duty crew and makes it easier to get class results out of the overall results. 

Edited by Grumpycat - 01 Apr 22 at 9:35pm
D-zero
Ex Laser x2
Ex British Moth x4
Ex Lightning 368
Ex Supernova
Grumpycat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grumpycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 22 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by iGRF

The reason, apparently some 'great minds' within said RYA technical division are considering absurdities like levelling up the Laser to the Solo, for example, whatever their machinations, it's very clear, they don't accord the activity, the respect as the backbone of what most of us do and treat it with a degree of disdain. So if it were only 20% of the sport as opposed to 80% of what's important, i.e. class racing, then perhaps that's understandable, but if as is probably more likely the case that it is the other way round, i.e. 80% handicap v 20% class racing, then a more serious approach to our predicament should be considered.

I don't know, I'm not close enough to the Bullsh*t generating centre and am probably being fed just enough to provoke this little enquiry. Quite honestly I've just had a really nasty run in with Covid and have total sense of humour failure right now, but if there is sh*t going on behind the scenes, perhaps they should consider their position a little bit more seriously than they do right now.
The only bullsh@t is coming from deepest Kent   LOL
D-zero
Ex Laser x2
Ex British Moth x4
Ex Lightning 368
Ex Supernova
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 22 at 10:03pm
Wow, how did that post appear between Jim c and me? Last time I looked there was one page, then GC was pushed onto page two very Russian....
Robert
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 22 at 10:04pm
I only know of one club currently racing fleet only and that is Budworth, 20 years ago Hollingworth Lake SC raced fleet only but now have handicap racing in addition to the class fleets. 50+ years ago my, then current (and, after a 50 year break I am a member again), club Leigh & Lowton was predominately fleet racing, now it's mostly handicap racing with the Solo's and Lasers getting separate starts some of the time. 
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 22 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by 423zero

TT, did they all sail at clubs that abandoned class racing, or, did they get fed up of handicap racing ?

No, I think we were spoilt in that youth and uni sailing was largely in classes, the adult world of ‘time trials’ just doesn’t live up to that unless it’s purely a local compliment to regatta or opens … then time and money factor.

Jim’s right too - I’ve been in group chats / email groups twice since I left uni (20 years ago now) trying to arrive at a class we’d all commit to investing in - first one failed because no one could agree, second one less so, but the boat agreed upon was difficult to source and it never really happened. I doubt there will be a third time now since Covid really killed the last of us off from racing
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 22 at 6:42am
edit - sorry to hear about the Solo Fleet at Draycote, Duncan.  They were all really nice guys, but their preferred sailing times definitely suited those without a 9-5 work life; hopefully it might bounce back at some point when the next generation pass through to retirement?  I think a year's state pension might just about afford a new Winder...
fab100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 22 at 8:03am
Most races are Frensham are class starts, Cadets, Teras and 2.4mR plus a general handicap/pursuit on Saturdays, then class racing on Sundays. (although there is a menagerie class too, but turnouts in that are very similar to class races). Summer Wednesday nights is a handicap.

This is supported by a ‘preferred class’ list that will get you a berth if you join. Otherwise, you might or might not. 
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 22 at 10:13am
Salcombe has a strong Solo fleet, 14 boats out last weekend and depth of fleet high, probably because the sailors are attracted to class racing and block out Saturday afternoons for sailing in their family diaries. 

We also run class racing for Yawls in the main season.  Otherwise there are three handicap starts comprising Junior, Medium and Fast.  The Aero 7 just makes the Fast Handicap.  The division of the Handicap fleets is more of a length of race issue, it takes an RS Terra considerably more time to complete the same distance than a 505.

I think the Handicap Fleets enjoy themselves, they sail boats that they like, and their is evidence of changing classes to suit their needs.  Our handicap fleets include three ex multiple World and National Champions so the quality of racing is high, sailing different classes of boat, and the cream tends to float to the top.

Happily living in the past
sarg boland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sarg boland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 22 at 12:48pm
Handicap fleets can be very competitive and are often dominated by one or two classes.  Couple of weeks ago we had a really tight morning of racing in the Double Handed fleet with 6 Wayfarers racing and 4 nip and tuck - one then headed off to USA later that week to win the Worlds.  The other boats in the fleet sailed their races and had a good time also.  The limitations of handicap racing only emerge when there is an "outlier" of a class sailing all on his own.  The single handed fleet is dominated by Lasers and Solos.  You always have close racing the Lasers, and the Solos also - then the handicap results are determined by windspeed.
Fair winds
sawman View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 22 at 4:54pm
I like handicap racing, I have no wish to sail a laser, solo or any RS boats, and so sailing a boat you like, whilst competing with the sheep on handicap is just about right - knowing where the give and take is between classes is all part of the fun - I know I need to hammer the lasers upwind in my OK and minimise losses downhill. If I can get to the 1st mark in good shape against the faster boats, the race bodes well.
That said having 30 of the same class out every week is great, but these days pretty unlikely. I learnt to sail in a club that only had one class, it was a rude awakening attending the revett series at L&L the first time - boats coming at you from all angles.
I spent loads of time on open circuits, so class racing again, great for what it is, but classes no longer have an event every week like they did in the 80's & 90's and travelling al over ultimately doesnt compute with family /work life. So makng the best of handicap sailing is where its at for me
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>