FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghy speeds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 22 at 11:06am
My experience is that dinghies start to plane around 8 knots and are planing by10 knots, 12 knots feels fast. Windsurfers actually start to plane at very similar speeds* but go much faster with 25 knots being pretty achievable for an average bod like me with 28/29 knots being a bit like the 16 knot barrier TT mentions in a dinghy, passing that requires a change in technique and courage.

* As, surprisingly, does my RIB.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 06 Jan 22 at 11:07am
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 22 at 11:38am
Aero 7 seems to be becoming the dominant sail size, good turn of speed.
Nice to see the H2 represented, dedicated bunch of owners.
Robert
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 22 at 12:07pm
Those Aero's are bloody quick offwind in a blow, I was maxed on the wire in my Farr 3.7 and an Aero 7 came past me like I was stood still.

As to what the OP is looking for, join the queue, an actual factual performance list not perverted by the prevarications and gerrymandering of the illuminati on the pyag is long overdue.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 22 at 12:24pm
Needs a spreadsheet of speeds obtained from various windspeeds, upwind, downwind. etc.
No idea what use it would be though ? Handicap racing would be governed by PY anyway. you could have the fastest dinghy in the world but still be beaten by a Topper.
Robert
GML View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote GML Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 22 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by 423zero

Needs a spreadsheet of speeds obtained from various windspeeds, upwind, downwind. etc.
No idea what use it would be though ? Handicap racing would be governed by PY anyway. you could have the fastest dinghy in the world but still be beaten by a Topper.
RYA publishes a number of such spreadsheets to help race officers set courses that achieve a given target race time - see: http://www.rya.org.uk/racing/running-racing/speed-charts
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 22 at 6:20pm
Iíve had the fastest craft in the race* on one RTC Wednesday - Kona Carbone windsurf board.

Clocked over 30 knots once on that bad boy with a 7.8 double cam freerace sail - Iíd like to see a 49er get anywhere near that on paper.

Why then did Laser Radials beat me over the water?

1) Iím not that good
2) it was not planing conditions
3) some one put a proper beat in the course
4) top speed is a redundant in benchmarking disparate craft

PY - best youíre gonna get. If you donít value it, donít do it anymore. I donít.

(* straight line speed, reaching)
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 22 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by turnturtle

Iíve had the fastest craft in the race* on one RTC Wednesday - Kona Carbone windsurf board.

Clocked over 30 knots once on that bad boy with a 7.8 double cam freerace sail - Iíd like to see a 49er get anywhere near that on paper.

Why then did Laser Radials beat me over the water?

1) Iím not that good
2) it was not planing conditions
3) some one put a proper beat in the course

(* straight line speed, reaching)

Your mistake was bringing a knife to a gunfight, you should have used a 'proper' Raceboard  Smile

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 06 Jan 22 at 6:49pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 22 at 7:36pm
98 KM/h on a board: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pMJmOG5J7s
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 22 at 12:26am
Originally posted by turnturtle

My fastest ever recorded top speed using a Garmin on a dinghy was 18.2 knots on a Musto Skiff.

It took ages to push over the 16 knot barrier for me personally, but 20+ is achievable if you really know what you are doing.

The fasted I felt I ever went on a dinghy was a little over 14 knots on an RS300!

Speed is relative - given most sailing (in the UK at least) is sub-planning, I'd say glide and momentum brings a greater sense of satisfaction than all out speed.

Lol, I recall 20 knots being much less scary in my Musto than 14 knots in the 300Ö that was bum twitching time for sure
RS200 and returning to a Musto, ex 300
Chris_H View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 22 at 11:56am
(not me) RS Aero - 23.9 knots

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>