FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where do you buy second hand boats?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
tink View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 22 at 7:25am
As above the where is probably more important than the what. As someone who moved to north Hampshire 3 years ago from a fantastic family friendly northern club the south coast overs very slim pickings for family dinghy sailing. The coastal clubs are all geared for the kids going out at specific times (all soccer mums and dads) and the adults doing their stuff at different times. Itís a very odd model and I think aimed at yachting rather than sailing. The inland clubs are better suited and I said before with an Andrew Simpson centre on site and top racing Burghfield, though a hike, is hard to beat. The RYA interactive map is a good starting point and really scrutinise the sailing calendar and the actual race results to see who is sailing what and when. 

A big however is that for southern kids is that with so many events and squads available many donít sail very regularly at their home club once they reach a certain level. 

Edited by tink - 05 Jan 22 at 7:55am
Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com
eric_c View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote eric_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 22 at 8:21am
Originally posted by tink

As above the where is probably more important than the what. As someone who moved to north Hampshire 3 years ago from a fantastic family friendly northern club the south coast overs very slim pickings for family dinghy sailing. The coastal clubs are all geared for the kids going out at specific times (all per soccer mums and dads) and the adults doing their stuff at different times. Itís a very odd model and I think aimed at yachting rather than sailing. The inland clubs are better suited and I said before with an Andrew Simpson centre on site and top racing Burghfield, though a hike, is hard to beat. The RYA interactive map is a good starting point and really scrutinise the sailing calendar and the actual race results to see who is sailing what and when. 

A big however is that for southern kids is that with so many events and squads available many donít sail very regularly at their home club once they reach a certain level. 

I think that's the reality of sailing on the actual ocean. It's a serious business taking responsibility for other people's sprogs in a more hostile environment. You've got more weather, tides, waves, other water users etc etc. But lots of families do teach their kids to sail in the Solent region, there is a lot going on, but it's spread over a large number of clubs. A lot of us just join one (or more!) of the nearest clubs as driving around the area is not much fun.So a lot of the clubs are very focussed on their long tem local members and it's all a bit opaque to anyone from the wrong side of the A272. The Northern Reservoir is equally an alien environment for those of us who've grown used to living within a pushbike ride of the sea.

Enough of that drivel, I looked at this thread because I'm wondering if there are any sensibly priced Lasers for sale that I'm not seeing? I've had the same one for 4 seasons and it's starting to feel like an excuse for not winning! What with covid and the class builder politics, not many nice ones for sale?
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 22 at 9:34am
I would suggest Lee on Solent isnt far from Winchester and we have club boats from Toppers to Quests for members use and run training for both Adults and kids.
Our training is run mostly Saturday morning with club racing in the afternoon. This allows the instructors to race if they are not knackered.
Our only issue at present is lack of Dinghy park space, but we are working on that. We also have a brand new clubhouse.
Gordon
Phantom 1430
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 22 at 9:38am
Probably production issues similar to cars, people are hanging on to them.
Robert
eric_c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote eric_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 22 at 10:06am
Originally posted by 423zero

Probably production issues similar to cars, people are hanging on to them.

I'll need another car this year as well.

At least with the Laser, I've got the option of buying the same thing as before, just not knackered.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 22 at 10:46am
It's a bit like buying a new Morris Marina innit 
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Grumpycat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grumpycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 22 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

Thatís a bit cruel lol,  itís more like buying a 60s America muscle car . Loads of performance in a straight line but a bas@@rd to get round the corners  LOL

Re shortage of boats . I think itís mostly in the second hand singlehanded market. Covid has caused a lot of people sailing two man boats to buy singlehanders as second boats and itís sucked the market dry. A friend of mine has just sold his solution and wants a winder solo . Everyone he has been interested in , has sold before he could get to see it . 

Edited by Grumpycat - 05 Jan 22 at 1:03pm
The Moo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Moo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 22 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Grumpycat

It's a bit like buying a new Morris Marina innit†

A friend of mine has just sold his solution and wants a winder solo . Everyone he has been interested in , has sold before he could get to see it .†

Standby incoming from Kent
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 22 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Grumpycat

Thatís a bit cruel lol,  itís more like buying a 60s America muscle car . Loads of performance in a straight line but a bas@@rd to get round the corners  LOL

Have you ever tried to get a Marina round a corner  Ouch

Re shortage of boats . I think itís mostly in the second hand singlehanded market. Covid has caused a lot of people sailing two man boats to buy singlehanders as second boats and itís sucked the market dry. A friend of mine has just sold his solution and wants a winder solo . Everyone he has been interested in , has sold before he could get to see it . 

That's more like buying a new Riley 1.5  Smile

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 05 Jan 22 at 1:24pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
eric_c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote eric_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 22 at 2:40pm
I was going to compare the Laser with a Royal Enfield, but even they've got fuel injection now.
I did once own a Marina estate, in strong winds it was dodgy in a straight line, never mind the corners.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>