New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Performance step changes.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Performance step changes.

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Paramedic View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more


Joined: 27 Jan 06
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 866
Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 21 at 7:20am
I'm going to go for glued construction.

It has given rise - directly or otherwise - to pretty much every racing class we have today except approximately 10, one or two of which pioneered the technique, later refined on all the others. I suppose we have WWII to thank for it because without that we'd probably never have developed the chemistry, at least not as quickly.
Back to Top
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 17 May 04
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6541
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 21 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by iGRF

Nope, the only serious performance step change was the articulated mast foot joint that gave rise to the biggest increase in independant performance sailing.

Which in turn was enabled by the wet suit. Board sailing in 1930s dinghy sailing clothing would leave a lot to be desired!
Back to Top
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 07 Mar 11
Location: Hythe
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6490
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 21 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by JimC

Originally posted by iGRF

Nope, the only serious performance step change was the articulated mast foot joint that gave rise to the biggest increase in independant performance sailing.

Which in turn was enabled by the wet suit. Board sailing in 1930s dinghy sailing clothing would leave a lot to be desired!


Hmmm https://youtu.be/O0H7KLDoIKM
Back to Top
Sailerf View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 26 Feb 17
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 35
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sailerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 21 at 6:03pm
Those bits the Moth class stuck on the bottom of there foils seam to have been a bit of a step change that has been brilliant to watch. So there is at least one good development since the 70s I think.  Wink
Back to Top
davidyacht View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more


Joined: 29 Mar 05
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1266
Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 21 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Sailerf

Those bits the Moth class stuck on the bottom of there foils seam to have been a bit of a step change that has been brilliant to watch. So there is at least one good development since the 70s I think.  Wink

Not sure that £26k second hand for an 11ft boat is going to take dinghy sailing to the masses 
Happily living in the past
Back to Top
TT2 View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 02 Jan 21
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Post Options Post Options   Quote TT2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 21 at 11:12am

Rumour has it the Worlds winning moth sold for 48,000 euro after the regatta in Garda. 
Back to Top
Sailerf View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 26 Feb 17
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 35
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sailerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 21 at 2:39pm
And I thought sailing for the masses ended with the package holiday. 26k compared to motor sport looks like a drop in the ocean but you can have a lot of fun for nearly 20k less than quoted. and 120 boats at the world was not to bad.
 https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/321743615993805/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Ab5dca065-4cef-4963-bf58-321be11d2ff2

Back to Top
john80 View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 07 Oct 19
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 31
Post Options Post Options   Quote john80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 21 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Sailerf

And I thought sailing for the masses ended with the package holiday. 26k compared to motor sport looks like a drop in the ocean but you can have a lot of fun for nearly 20k less than quoted. and 120 boats at the world was not to bad.
 https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/321743615993805/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Ab5dca065-4cef-4963-bf58-321be11d2ff2


I would not find it fun to be 5-10% of the pace of the winner. If it is just to blast about there are many foiling options from windsurfing to kiting to go at substantially cheaper.
Back to Top
Sailerf View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 26 Feb 17
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 35
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sailerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 21 at 8:25am
Firstly I thought this topic was about Performance step changes not cost or ability's . But if john80 can race Slingsby at only 5-10 percent performance deficit in an older foiling Moth you must be some sailor. Wink 
Back to Top
Mark Aged 42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 24 Aug 11
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 83
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark Aged 42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 21 at 9:15am
"I would not find it fun to be 5-10% off the pace of the winner."
I don't agree with that. No matter what your relative standard is in a fleet, if you are having close competition with other boats, that is fun. Maybe 90% of a fleet have no realistic chance of winning, but still take part, week in, week out. Why? Because they have fun doing their thing.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz
Change your personal settings, or read our privacy policy