FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recommend me a single handed dinghy please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 21 at 12:16pm
Don't know about the Phantom but the Blaze is not difficult to recover. I'm 68 and have never struggled to self right mine. The ally mast is sealed so it doesn't turn turtle giving you time to climb up the inside if you're reasonably quick. It does float with the CB a foot or so out of the water so getting on from there takes a bit of effort but no more than a L@ser IME. Definitely for righting lines, they make the job much easier BTW.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 02 Oct 21 at 12:18pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 21 at 8:59pm
I've got a pal who rides a Phantom, he's an ex windsurfer like me, but not quite so devoted to hiking so tends to 'perch' but he just doesn't seem to go over that much. He's now in his late seventys, what we sail on aint easy, lots of lumps and shore dumps. I'd tell anyonewith a bit of height and weight to get one, they're light and easy to move around, they have a swinging back centreboard and rudder, not to difficult control layout, rock steady, fast, so you get to be among the better sailors in most handicap fleets, so you can emulate their style and decisions.
You aint going to beat them once the spreadhseet has been calculated, but over the water, it'lll be a better experience. Better than bringing up the rear of the laserati wallers who are mostly quite adept, because the boat is so crap they have nothing better to do than work hard. Better to be ghosting past them with a smile and a coffee in the cupholder and a rolled up copy of Sailing Today to read down the run as you glide by them, they love it.

Edited by iGRF - 02 Oct 21 at 9:01pm
rich96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rich96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 21 at 7:45am
On the river a Phantom would be great. 

Solo also very good - lots of 90kg sailors racing them.

Blaze wont suit a tidal river location as well

Edited by rich96 - 03 Oct 21 at 7:46am
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 21 at 3:58pm
Depends how much area you've got, Blaze does like room to stretch it's legs so estuaries are good and it's fast enough to stem the tide better than slower boats. Performance is not much different to a Phantom on open water but, as you say, not so well suited to confined waters. If blasting around in a breeze is on the agenda though I'd take the Blaze every time...

Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
eric_c View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote eric_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 21 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Alfachats

Hello all, I'm after some advice.
I'm a returning sailor, sailed a bit in my youth (Sea cadets, Royal Navy) but haven't sailed since 2004, however I now live in Falmouth and thought it was time I got back on the water instead of just looking at the water, joined a local sailing club and recently re-did my RYA level 2, throughly enjoyed sailing the Pico but realise at 51 years old and 90kgs its not the boat for me.
However because I work shifts and have weird times off I really would like to get a single hander dinghy I can have some fun with.
Ideally I'd like something I can pull up a slip by myself and something with a good turn of speed and is fun like a Pico is, I suppose the obvious choice would be a Laser but everyone has one (be nice not to follow the crowd) and TBH I've heard they can be hard work at times so I'm thinking something different.
So dinghies on my possible list are as follows: Streaker, Solo, Lightning or maybe if funds allow a Phantom.
For info, Im 51 years old and 90 kgs, basically I will be sailing on the Helford river mostly on my own, but I maybe interested in doing a bit of racing at some point, the club has handicap racing with a mix of Wayfarers, Lasers, Fusions and the odd Europe and an Ospray.

So what would you guys recommend?

Roger.

I f you do a good bit of sailing, you might lose a few kg and the laser will look even more obvious a choice.
What you can haul up a slip varies hugely depending on the angle, surface and grip oon the slip way. I don't like the Laser as a boat, but the racing is good. If you race a Phantom against Lasers, you will be a leg ahead and out of touch in light weatheer, which may feel pointless. A lot depends on budget, you can get a useable laser for 3 figure sums. But if you are drawn to some other boat, you have to go with what you like. There are dozens of options, many of the smaller 2 handed boats are good SH if you're 90kg. Things like the vortex and Vareo add the fun of a kite.
Many options!

If you are not racing, then a cheap old boat you don't mind dragging up the beach can be a lot less stress than something shiny and fragile.Racing off a beach, we get each others' trolley. But sailing on you own may not be like  that, boat may need to be dumped on the beach? Although ISTR HRSC has a pontoon to tie up to?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12