FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

first single hander

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
A2Z View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote A2Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 21 at 10:00pm
Far too much emphasis being put on your weight.  At 95kg you would be just fine in a Laser, Solo or Solution.  Once you can nail every start, perfect every roll tack, hike flat out for 30 minutes, spot every wind shift and polish your boat every race then you can worry about a boat that suits the extra 5-10kg.
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 21 at 5:27am
For clarification. My Phantom all day long was purely for comfort, the racing side is always secondary to a nice sailing experience in my mind. 

wolfram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wolfram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 21 at 11:17am
Originally posted by A2Z

Far too much emphasis being put on your weight.  At 95kg you would be just fine in a Laser, Solo or Solution.  Once you can nail every start, perfect every roll tack, hike flat out for 30 minutes, spot every wind shift and polish your boat every race then you can worry about a boat that suits the extra 5-10kg.

It's not just about racing results. With a powerful rig I'll be able to at least sit.

I think I'd rather be underweight than overweight in light air. It is no fun kneeling in the middle of the boat when you have long legs!
Wolfram
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 21 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by wolfram

Thanks for the advice so far.
I have never owned a golf
Good points about the racing with the fleet. The Solution is closest on PY to the lasers.
I've got a Solution and race my mates in their Lasers in it, once upon a time we were very close on PY, but the bloody Bandits sail off something absurd these days, so you have to beat them by thirty seconds I think it is. Funnily enough my Solution is currently for sale, not for those reasons, I just fancy a change, I beat them with it last time I sailed it.

But I still think if you want an easier time of it a Phantom would be a good bet, despite what the Solution ads say about it being for 85kg people, that's BS, there's a 96-100kg Guy knocks us all into a cocked hat with his Solution but he's using that ultimate weapon of cheats..youth. Nobody should be allowed to race boats under fifty years old, it's just not fair racing

The Phantom or the Solution would be good bets, but the Solution is harder work to beat Lasers, you have to be on it, young and good or they make some stupid mistake. The Phantoms Boat Speed will make you a tactical genius, until the spreadsheet cuts in.

Edited by iGRF - 31 Jul 21 at 2:07pm
wolfram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wolfram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 21 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by iGRF

Good points about the racing with the fleet. The Solution is closest on PY to the lasers.
...Funnily enough my Solution is currently for sale, not for those reasons, I just fancy a change, I beat them with it last time I sailed it...

Is that 405? On appollo duck at the moment?
Wolfram
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 21 at 8:26pm

Originally posted by iGRF

...Funnily enough my Solution is currently for sale, not for those reasons, I just fancy a change, I beat them with it last time I sailed it...

Is that 405? On appollo duck at the moment?

No, mine's 399. Think it's on fb market place or that dinghy and dinghy bits for sale group. Looking for two grand or there abouts..
patj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote patj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 21 at 4:48pm
Being the fastest boat on that sort of puddle full of Lasers and Comets and older singlehanders is just a bit boring - it tends to become "How many times can I lap so and so tonight?" - been there!
Maybe it's worth looking at something a bit slower, with a bigger handicap but a decent sail area since puddle evening sailors are generally in either the "sit forward and sit still" camp or the "move around to pump as much as you can" camp and there are too many of the latter so it's not a level playing field.

Riv View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 21 at 7:43am
Maybe that venerable pond racer the OK? Sailing off 1104 and ILCA/Laser7 off 1100.
The PYs are close enough and it will carry weight. Boom is easier to get under than a Laser and you can modify to make comfortable.
Mistral Div II prototype board, Original Windsurfer, Hornet built'74.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 21 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Riv

Maybe that venerable pond racer the OK? Sailing off 1104 and ILCA/Laser7 off 1100.
The PYs are close enough and it will carry weight. Boom is easier to get under than a Laser and you can modify to make comfortable.

Never experienced an OK Riv what are they actually like? Handicaps aside will a new one beat a new Laser over the water given equal weighted helms of equal skill?
Riv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 21 at 4:19pm
Sorry, no real knowledge of the modern ones, last one I sailed had a wooden mast, but new ones have lovely carbon masts and look amazing.
Mistral Div II prototype board, Original Windsurfer, Hornet built'74.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>