FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Detuning a Penultimate International 14?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
skslr View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote skslr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 21 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by davidyacht

Out of interest what is the number?  I had two

The kite for the one in question now still says K1223. My wife had the former K1220 more than 15 years ago.

Back then there were considerable differences between the masts...

davidyacht View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 21 at 9:00am
Ah, mine were 1208 and 1242.  Think the numbers were drilled into the centre transom bar support moulding.  There were quite a few attempts at finding masts that stayed up back then, particularly during the transition to assymetric kites
Happily living in the past
skslr View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote skslr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 21 at 3:25pm

Bad news (or maybe it saved me from doing something stupid?):

The offer for the penultimate international 14 was just too good and someone else was faster.

I followed the advice to look for a 29er Rigg with sails and actually found a cheap rigg with a hull under it, with just the kite missing.

Now a 29er would barely float at the upper end at the intended crew weight range, so thatís no option here.

So unless another cheap international pops up I need to look at alternatives.

Does anyone have proposals for cheap double floored hulls that weigh in at < 100 kgs and can support 180 kg combined crews without dragging the transom through the water / forcing the crew to move in front of the shrouds or even the mast?

Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 21 at 4:42pm
You probably need a shortlist of classes that are available within a couple of hours drive of you, if you were in the UK I'd say Buzz, L2000 (a little on the heavy side admittedly and would probably stretch the budget), ISO, Laser 2 and L3k are probably a bit on the small size for 180kg...

There used to be a dinghy database on the Noble website but it disappeared in the last revamp. I did save a copy as an Excel spreadsheet if it might be of help identifying suitable candidates.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4nk3jngwiye9ha/Dinghy%20Database.xls?dl=0
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Old bloke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Old bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 21 at 4:46pm
Not double floored, but a 505 ticks all your other boxes

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 21 at 5:24pm
Except 'single handing' with a child crew...

Great boats though  Thumbs Up
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 21 at 5:29pm
Topper Boss with a cut down rig.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 21 at 5:32pm
ISO probably makes more "sense", though, as much as any of this does!

Genuine sense would suggest a Sport 14 or similar, but not very exciting compared to a 14. Sense is overrated...
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Old bloke View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Old bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 21 at 8:55am
A 505 is a much better prospect for light weather singlehandedly +/- a small child than a 14 or Boss. I, and many others, have done exactly that, including flying the kite and trapezing, without much problem.
We're not talking force 5 at Mount's Bay.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 21 at 10:20am
True but the OP is not (unless I'm missing something) considering a Boss, L5k or a 14 with the standard rig  but something considerably de-tuned in comparison hence the suggestions for Buzz or L2/3k

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 23 Mar 21 at 11:53am
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>