FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS Sailing announces new RS200 Builder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 21 at 3:32pm
He did say he had built his last Solo in that post I referred to above but didn't mention any other classes. I knew he built Streakers, one of our club hotshots has one.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 24 Feb 21 at 3:33pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Grumpycat View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Grumpycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 21 at 7:39pm
A good move on his part as there only two authorised builders of complete streakers . A lot less competition than trying to build Solos .  Big smile
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 21 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Grumpycat

A good move on his part as there only two authorised builders of complete streakers . A lot less competition than trying to build Solos .  Big smile

I hope that he doesn’t give up on the Solos, his offering is beautifully engineered and is a good shape.  Just came into the market late, by which time most sailors had established relationships with the other builders.  
Happily living in the past

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 21 at 10:26pm
If he's going it alone then a single class may be enough commitment to make alongside repair work. I'm guessing that his Streakers were more sought after than his Solos, they are probably a more niche class so better suited to a small builder.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
A2Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote A2Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 21 at 8:07am
Originally posted by JimC

Well that explains why they needed a new builder then. I'm still puzzled about the partnership/collaboration part though, I don't recall RS making announcements like that about previous sub contractors.
Yes, is this a “partnership” because Gingerboats actually have a commercial share in the RS200 now, or is this hyperbole to justify a change of builder?  Makes me wonder how well RS treated by@b because it is hard to see why someone would give up building one of the most popular boats whilst staying in the boat repair business. 

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 21 at 10:27am
Originally posted by A2Z

Originally posted by JimC

Well that explains why they needed a new builder then. I'm still puzzled about the partnership/collaboration part though, I don't recall RS making announcements like that about previous sub contractors.
Yes, is this a “partnership” because Gingerboats actually have a commercial share in the RS200 now, or is this hyperbole to justify a change of builder?  Makes me wonder how well RS treated by@b because it is hard to see why someone would give up building one of the most popular boats whilst staying in the boat repair business. 

It's popularity may be the reason, the volume of boats may be too much for a one man operation?
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
L192444 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote L192444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 21 at 5:35pm
I'm clearing out my office and just found a 1996 RS price list.

RS200 open £4450 - 

RS400 £6295 - 

RS600 £4950 - 

49er £9250 - 

Less than 10k for a 49er ...

-- EDIT: there are line breaks in this post but its all mashed together when viewed  Cry

Edited by L192444 - 25 Feb 21 at 6:00pm
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 21 at 10:19am
Say 'Hand made' rather than cheap, all that glitters is not gold.
Robert
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 21 at 1:22pm
Is it the marketing budget, or is it the limited size of the market?

Let's say the H2 suddenly halved in price and they could ramp up the production, are there double the number of potential customers out there?

What's more, who is even trying to find out?

These Independant builders, should long ago have combined their resources, hired a marketing outfit to find out.
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 21 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by L192444

I'm clearing out my office and just found a 1996 RS price list.

RS200 open £4450 - 

RS400 £6295 - 

RS600 £4950 - 

49er £9250 - 

Less than 10k for a 49er ...

-- EDIT: there are line breaks in this post but its all mashed together when viewed  Cry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>