FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS Sailing announces new RS200 Builder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Gfinch View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Gfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 21 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by ClubRacer

I just hope this means the prices can be kept down as at the moment £13,500 for a new 200 is a joke

A new National 12 is less and in my experience, more of an enjoyable sail. The boats are much more individual too.

Merlins north of £25k is is significant investment though.
3513, 3551 - National 12
136069 - Laser
32541 - Mirror
4501 - Laser 4000
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 21 at 5:57pm
When you compare the standard of fitting out (and therefore cost) of a dinghy today compared to the 70s, you can see where a not insignificant wodge of the money comes from.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 21 at 6:45pm
Something like a Bahia is half the price of a 200,cost must be production of Hull.
Robert
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 21 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Rupert

When you compare the standard of fitting out (and therefore cost) of a dinghy today compared to the 70s, you can see where a not insignificant wodge of the money comes from.

Can you?

Shouldda gone to Specsavers.

I'm with ClubRacer thirteen and a half grand for that hunk of junk is outrageous.

Edited by iGRF - 23 Feb 21 at 6:59pm
Grumpycat View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grumpycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 21 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

There was a post on the Solo FB group last November that Boatyard @ Beer Ltd was going into liquidation, maybe that's why RS need a new builder for 200s?

Boatbuilding is a pretty hands on process and even plastic boats require a certain skill level. Modern FRP boats are a far cry from CSM 'bucket and chuck it' construction of old. The guys with the necessary skills, quite reasonably, want to earn a living wage

Boatyard @Beer is definitely no more . But Kevin is still in the boat repair business, I saw a post on the Streaker fb page of his new workshop . 
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 21 at 8:44pm
Well that explains why they needed a new builder then. I'm still puzzled about the partnership/collaboration part though, I don't recall RS making announcements like that about previous sub contractors.
ClubRacer View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ClubRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 21 at 9:51pm
I think a lot of the price has to do with RS mark ups than boat manufacturing costs. 

IIRC back in 2011 RS proposed changing from their mylar material stuff they used on the 400 sails to a laminate because the material was becoming harder to get hold of. By moving to a laminate it meant they could keep the prices down (pretty sure this were their words in a newsletter I received). The mylars were £650 and went to £600 once they changed over to the laminate. The current prices of the laminate is £949

Part of this may be due to brexit as I'm unsure what the costs were pre-brexit. But even then, more than a 50% price increase over 10 years is ridiculous. For comparison the last jib I bought in 2016 was £420 and they are now £600, near 50% increase in just 4 and a half years. Kite in 2011 £520, 2021 £669

Topper sails are also made by Hyde (I think? looking at their website.) and a 4.2m sail which is comparable size to a 400 Jib is £215 

Edited by ClubRacer - 23 Feb 21 at 9:53pm
GybeFunny View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote GybeFunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 21 at 9:32am
Originally posted by davidyacht

Forty or so years ago Spud Rowsell said that a new Merlin cost the same as a Mini.  Current base price of a Mini is around £ 15k, so £ 13,500 doesn't seem far off the mark.  

I guess that Kevin wasn't seeing much of that £ 13,500 and I hope for Ginger Boats that they can weather any storms that RS may encounter.

As an observer of the marine industry, it tends to be the marketeers that survive the ups and downs, not the boatbuilders.

Where can I get a brand new Merlin for £15k now?
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 21 at 11:52am
Fair point ... got a bit divergent when JT raised the bar!

However I think classes like RS200 and RS400 may be where the 12s and Merlinís were in the 70ís and early 80ís.

The real issue for classes based on production runs is that as the numbers slow a lot of the fixed costs have to be amortised across fewer boats, which squeezes the builder if the marketeer is not prepared to give up any margin, particularly when the sales evaporate as a result of a pandemic 
Happily living in the past
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 21 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Grumpycat

Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

There was a post on the Solo FB group last November that Boatyard @ Beer Ltd was going into liquidation, maybe that's why RS need a new builder for 200s?

Boatbuilding is a pretty hands on process and even plastic boats require a certain skill level. Modern FRP boats are a far cry from CSM 'bucket and chuck it' construction of old. The guys with the necessary skills, quite reasonably, want to earn a living wage

Boatyard @Beer is definitely no more . But Kevin is still in the boat repair business, I saw a post on the Streaker fb page of his new workshop . 

He is building the Streaker as well I believe, based on the Rooster moulds.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>