FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Playboat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
StupidStu View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StupidStu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Playboat
    Posted: 01 Mar 20 at 9:01pm
Hi All

I am looking for a boat to chuck on the roof to take to France this summer to sail on the lakes we are staying at. Cannot tow as have the caravan. I have been offered a Topper Taz very cheap and I know it will fit my 11 and 14 year olds but not having actually seen one in flesh will I be able to sail it at 5'11 and 85kg? I won't be racing or expecting much just a bit fun.

Thanks in advance
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 20 at 9:24pm
Topper Taz is very small, Optimist size, for children.
Robert
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 20 at 11:24pm
Better with a Topper, still a bit small for 85kg but doable and cheap. Should be much better for you than a Taz though.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
ColPrice2002 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColPrice2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 20 at 8:33am
Having sailed the Taz at our sail training centre - several times - I reckon you'll be ok until you need to tube or tack...
I'm 5'8", and you require the ability to crouch low to miss the boom...
Alternatively, Dr a pair of kneepads!
The other thing I noticed is that the Taz is quite heavy for its size (like most rotomoulded hulls).
Topper a reasonable suggestion - another is (depending on car load ability) an old laser or minisail.
Is there's possibility of buying a budget dinghy near your campsite?

Colin
StupidStu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StupidStu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 20 at 8:36am
Thanks for replies I may try and keep my eye out for a Pico or Topaz. Also saw a Byte don't know much about those.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 20 at 11:00am
Topaz is a good boat for a 'normal sized' adult to sail singlehanded or even two up but, realistically, needs two adults to get it on the roof, and it may well exceed the roof weight for many cars. Topper is a fair bit lighter and it is possible to get it on and off the roof on your own.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 02 Mar 20 at 11:01am
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
StupidStu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StupidStu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 20 at 11:02am
Tar. Will never be in my own so should be OK. Topaz is 60kg. My bars are 75kg and roof is 100kg. So should be fine. Had a Topper before and too cramped.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 20 at 11:14am
Fair enough. Good choice then, my windsurfing pal taught himself to sail boats in one.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 20 at 12:51pm
If you found the Topper cramped the Taz would be impossible... Bytes are more of a mainstream racing boat, being glass fibre with all the relevant pros and cons. Kinda like a short Laser.
snowleopard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote snowleopard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 20 at 5:39pm
Important consideration if you haven't done this before: France requires all visiting boats to be registered. The only exceptions are 'engins de plage' i.e. beach toys.  It was for this reason the SSR or Part 3 registry was introduced. 

The procedure is pretty simple but costs 35 and has to be renewed every 5 years. No measuring required, just fill in a form. 

One hull good, two hulls better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>