FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help, stop me wasting cash on a new Contender.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
PeterG View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 20 at 6:05pm
Buying a Contender can't be a waste of cash! Smile 
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Laser 189635
DY 59
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 20 at 8:36am
Originally posted by Do Different

Because you’d better suited to Musto .
Now you’re comfortable helm wiring a short responsive boat you’d boss it.

Absolute Codswollop.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 20 at 8:46am
As explained on HERE you already have the option of an Asymmetric Spinnaker within the Farr 3.7 rules which will provided you with the Banditry you seek. If you want more lighter wind Banditry we have also pointed you in the direction of the bigger fat head main sail that was proposed at the 3.7 AGM a few years back. This would achieve your home water first across the line you are looking for. 

Edited by Jack Sparrow - 10 Feb 20 at 8:51am
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 20 at 10:09am
Well I'm going to pursue a twin track approach, I shall keep the Farr37 for when it's above average windy, which is the only time it really comes into it's own and however nice the Contender might be it's unlikely to be as responsive and lively as the Farr, but for light to medium winds it's going to be a Contender if I can get them to agree to a few little mods, like carbon deck RDM rig and higher clew sail..

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 20 at 12:14pm
iGRF - A CONTENDER IS A HEAVY WEATHER BOAT!

If you want something for your weight for force 0 > 3 get an RS700 or RS600 (if you don't want a kite).
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 20 at 12:32pm
grf  I can beat a Contender on the water in a Phantom in light wind. I don't even enjoy light wind sailing. The contender is to long and flat aft to be a light wind boat and absolute joy in any breeze.
Gordon
Phantom 1430
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 20 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by iGRF

Well I'm going to pursue a twin track approach, I shall keep the Farr37 for when it's above average windy, which is the only time it really comes into it's own and however nice the Contender might be it's unlikely to be as responsive and lively as the Farr, but for light to medium winds it's going to be a Contender if I can get them to agree to a few little mods, like carbon deck RDM rig and higher clew sail..

You can have a higher clew sail already IIRC. Means you lose a bit of sail area though.

I seem to recall one of the top UK guys has/had one?
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 20 at 1:07pm
The Contender has a sail close to 11 sq mtrs, way above my weight threshold, it probably needs it because the damn thing weighs a ton and try as I may I can't get anyone to build one down to a reasonable weight, so it is what it is. The sort of wind the Farr actually gets going in will see me more than overpowered on an 11 mtr, so I see it as the logical thing to do. There may be a couple of wrinkles I can try to make the Contender go, in stupid light weather, but it's true a Phantom can and does give it the runaround, but in that weather it's not that much fun for anyone, but get to marginal 2-3 where the Farr is going nowhere and I'll be off, out on the wire hopefully whilst the lard boys watch my pert little butt some way ahead and getting further, moments to live for, might even have to break out the buttless chaps!

Edited by iGRF - 10 Feb 20 at 1:09pm
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 20 at 1:14pm
Codswallop. And people say the art of conversation is dead.  Wink

Light airs, why not a Musto with a light helm?

By the way iGRF if it's winning line honours you're after a Contender isn't the tool to do it in light; nice and spacious to lie down in for a nap though.

rich96 View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote rich96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 20 at 2:18pm
Contender for light winds - a first !

Enjoy following around the Lasers in the light - you will hate it unless you are trapezing
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>