FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Windvane self-steering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
OlKeat View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote OlKeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windvane self-steering
    Posted: 25 Dec 19 at 1:41pm

Hello everyone, happy holiday! What can you say about the windvane self-steering, based on the experience of use, which is better: auxiliary rudder or servo-pendulum?

snowleopard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote snowleopard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 20 at 8:57am
The biggest factor is the configuration of the boat. For example a Folkboat can be steered with a trim-tab on the rudder but most modern boats don't have a transom-hung rudder. Pendulum-servo gears work best with tiller steering. I had one on a wheel-steered boat and the length of the linkage made it a bit sloppy.

My latest boat was equipped with an electronic autopilot which operated via a hydraulic pump. I sailed 20,000 miles with that arrangement and it never let me down, plus I could select a waypoint on the GPS, press 'Track' and know I would follow a line on the chart to within 50 metres. Personally I'd never go back to wind-and-string solutions.
One hull good, two hulls better.
 Post Reply Post Reply