FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Arresting the Decline and Fall of our Sport.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 36>
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 19 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by 423zero

When you first take up sailing you little realise the responsibility you are taking on, what other sport are you expected to run a club ?

Quite a few of them: the only sports that get away without that sort of responsibility are those that run in hired by the hour accommodation, and even then village halls and the like are typically run by amateurs just like the clubs that meet in them. If the responsibilities of a sailing club intimidate you, consider those of a firearms club!
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 19 at 6:36pm
True, a mate is involved in shooting and archery, both a potential H&S nightmare.....
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 19 at 6:41pm
My son been Archer for years, no comparison to running a sailing club.
Robert
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 19 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Loyboy

I have to disagree. I grew up at Reading Sailing Club, crewed in my father's home built Mirror at 8, cried a lot so then my Dad concentrated on racing his Solo as it was one of the few adopted classes along with the Laser and Enterprise. I got interested in sailing at the age of 15 when I had grown some, borrowed the Solo and was instantly hooked. Yes, the sense of freedom was part of it but my own personal drive was to beat every other Solo there. Even then my father and I would berate the new designs that turned up at the club, they formed their own menagerie fleet and raced in handicap series. There was some interest in winning these but it was generally dependent on the conditions.  My point is, if I had turned up at a club that just had loads of different craft floating around, the drive would probably to sail something that was exhilarating rather than race likeminded sailors in one designs, self improving the skills to win and accept failure rather than just blast around with no end goal.
I believe a club would benefit from limiting the classes accepted. 
The decline of sailing is down to the dilution of class racing in the same way that the decline of family relationships is down to the allowance of Sunday trading IMHO.

Don’t agree to limiting classes, didn’t join a club because they won’t let me sail my IC, big lake with skiffs and cats. At my old club of the recent L2 at least 3 all bought boats that where not sailed at the club. It is diversity of boats on offer at different price points that is the strength of the sport. 
Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com
DiscoBall View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote DiscoBall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 19 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Rupert

The RYA offer all sorts of courses beyond L2, but take up is small. So, if club life isn't right, courses aren't right, what is right to keep more people who do the "bucket list" levels 1&2 in the sport,

I think mentoring is something different to short, standalone official courses - long term slow drip of teaching, encouragement and binding someone in socially (which then makes them more motivated to vounteer within the club). 

Maybe the poor uptake of further courses is because new starters need someone to guide them to a suitable next step?

The [growing] local  canoe club takes on multiple groups of beginners, gives them a basic training included in their membership fee, gives them use of club boats for a year or so. They are then on various pathways within the sport with guidance and training over multiple years. Yes they still lose probably 50% of them after year one, but those that do stay go on to volunteer and coach people themselves. There are no 'duties'...

Originally posted by Loyboy

I believe a club would benefit from limiting the classes accepted. 
The decline of sailing is down to the dilution of class racing ...

There's a lot in this - many in this forum are just as guilty of being 'bucket-listers' changing classes and chasing the next big thing for the 'perfect' boat:

Vareo, RS100, Aero, Zero, H2...

Alto (I jest...)

423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 19 at 7:55pm
Not many clubs in the country could tell there handicap fleet they had to get rid of non compliant boats.
Robert
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 19 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by 423zero

Not many clubs in the country could tell there handicap fleet they had to get rid of non compliant boats.

No club should do that, but someone seeing an engaged group sailing the same boat and enjoying their racing even within the handicap fleet may well decide to join in.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 19 at 9:33pm
We run pure handicap racing, but split out results for Lasers on a Wednesday evening and some Sundays. We are discussing whether we can encourage other gatherings of classes by offering the same, especially if we have club boats to use.

On a Wednesday, the Lasers are far more interested in their race than the main one. And yet, I still can't find it in myself to buy (or even hire) a Laser.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
CT249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CT249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 19 at 11:22pm
The point about mentoring is very important, IMHO. And it doesn't have to be official - I've moved around a bit over the last few years and the clubs that are doing well have an unofficial and general mentoring mentality. The club that was doing badly had lots of professional courses, no mentors in any way (even when I repeatedly asked for the role) and is losing numbers significantly.

My little current club had pretty much doubled its numbers recently (although a record breaking drought is causing us trouble at the moment) and the newbies mentioned how friendly everyone is. It's really not hard to wander over and give a hand, and to ensure that the new sailors are not left miles behind by running some short personal handicap pursuit races etc.  Even just walking over and making sure that they become involved in the post race chat is significant, but bizarrely in many clubs new sailors are left alone and people wonder why they vanish.

My other sport is cycling, and around there such clubs need volunteers for traffic control (which means gaining a certification), running races, first aid, grading, etc. The only reason it may seem easier to organise is because the clubs are bigger, as far as I can see.
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 19 at 7:02am
Not quite mentoring but in the sub set of support, social media (WhatsApp groups) are a great tool, same, class of boat, newly qualified etc. Simple note ‘forecast good, I’m heading up who’s joining me.’ Can help get people motivated. 
Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 36>