FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Decline and Fall of our Sport.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
KazRob View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 12:14pm
Originally posted by iGRF

Also true and good news that it's being discussed elsewhere. So, it all needs co-ordinating, then promoting and to that end as I said elsewhere, we need at the very least an 'interest group' or grassroots organisation forming, I might have a germ of an idea, where are all these facebook conversations?
Ours are here, but it's still in the very early stages. We're planning a initial meeting early December to kick ideas around 

Edited by KazRob - Today at 12:43pm
OK 2139 & 2148
ChrisI View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ChrisI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 1:29pm
Thanks for posting. This is a really excellent article by Ian Walker which summarises as well as anything I've seen what the problems are.
I would only add one more thing.... the extent to which the voluntary structure of clubs (compared to commercially constituted centres) is either hindering or helping change.

(And just to record.... that it was a stunningly beautiful morning sailing this Sunday on the Thames at Hammersmith, and with an excellent fleet out, albeit of mostly single handers!).
KazRob View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 2:13pm
Originally posted by ChrisI

I would only add one more thing.... the extent to which the voluntary structure of clubs (compared to commercially constituted centres) is either hindering or helping change.

I think you have to play with what you’ve got. The commercial model of big clubs doesn’t work in Scotland as even our biggest dinghy clubs are small in comparisons to Grafham, Queen Mary etc but that doesn’t mean there aren’t lessons to  be learned from them. The pay-and-play model is possible using club boats once a person is a member. Membership can be spread into monthly fees using apps like GoCardless, WebCollect etc which means joining can be near painless (£10/month is much more palatable than being asked for £120 in one lump) and continuing membership is likely, just the same as gyms get you to join and then bank on you forgetting to cancel. Clubs can diversify into SUPs, coastal rowing and the like and then hope to bring those new people into the sailing side of things. In the long term we have no option but to work together and try to find new approaches till we find something that works for our clubs. Otherwise they will inevitably close sooner or later.

Bottom line for me is we have to do it for ourselves and not expect some perfect solution to be handed down from on high from the RYa – “We’re from the Government and we’re here to help you” as they say in the US

OK 2139 & 2148
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 3:20pm
Originally posted by KazRob

>Bottom line for me is we have to do it for ourselves and not
expect some perfect solution to be handed down from on high from the RYa – “We’re from the Government and we’re here to
help you
” as they say in the US

<p ="Msonormal"><o:p></o:p>

tink View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 6:26pm
Originally posted by KazRob

Originally posted by ChrisI

I think you have to play with what you’ve got. The commercial model of big clubs doesn’t work in Scotland as even our biggest dinghy clubs are small in comparisons to Grafham, Queen Mary etc but that doesn’t mean there aren’t lessons to  be learned from them. The pay-and-play model is possible using club boats once a person is a member. Membership can be spread into monthly fees using apps like GoCardless, WebCollect etc which means joining can be near painless (£10/month is much more palatable than being asked for £120 in one lump) and continuing membership is likely, just the same as gyms get you to join and then bank on you forgetting to cancel. Clubs can diversify into SUPs, coastal rowing and the like and then hope to bring those new people into the sailing side of things. In the long term we have no option but to work together and try to find new approaches till we find something that works for our clubs. Otherwise they will inevitably close sooner or later.

Bottom line for me is we have to do it for ourselves and not expect some perfect solution to be handed down from on high from the RYa – “We’re from the Government and we’re here to help you” as they say in the US

Pay to play has a few issues of its own 
The payees must be a minimum of RYA Level 2, no one wants some damaging either the club boat or members boat - demands on instructors 
The boats have to be maintained - demands on members 
Tink
https://tinkboats.wordpress.com/

http://proasail.blogspot.com
KazRob View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 8:02pm
Tink that is true but if a club wants to bring new people into the sport they need to find reasons to try things and not reasons not to try things. I know the club boats (from Oppies up to L2000s) get used every week at ASYC. They don’t pay for their way as such but they do bring new people into the club and get them sailing very cheaply so they are investments in the future rather than a profit centre (and they have to join to be able to use them). The L2000s are really good in getting adult friends and colleagues out sailing for the first time and we even have a few students at the local Unis who get to keep sailing while they are away from their own club. It’s not a silver bullet but it can be made to work even for a small club like ASYC
It won’t suit every club of course so they’ll need to find other ways.
OK 2139 & 2148
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456