FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Royal Sovereign.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sussex Lad View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sussex Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Royal Sovereign.
    Posted: 14 Aug 19 at 2:27pm
The Royal Sovereign light platform has come to the end of it's designed 50yr life span. Early next year it's being demolished so we thought we'd take a trip out there to wish it farewell.

It's predecessor was the Light Ship. When a kid in Hastings I remember listening to the fog horn in bed on still foggy nights.

I do believe there used to be a long distance handicap race using the ship as one of the marks. The race was before my time in boats, also before the days of 'elf and safety which I believe was what put the kibosh on it. Some of you may remember it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z9Aw2x920Y&feature=youtu.be[TUBE][/TUBE]

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sussex Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 19 at 2:45pm
Found a piccy of the race courtesy of R McAll.

piglet View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 19 at 3:33pm
Popped out there in the 300 yesterday, quite lively over the shoal.
76 minute round trip.
Almost shed a year for the old thing, though I have to say the architecture looks very 60's.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sussex Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 19 at 6:19pm
Bit quicker than me @ 1 hr 44mins......11.8 nautical miles there and back according to my track log.

Water a bit confused for me over the shoal with a few big waves. Reasonable though. I suspect you had more tide.  

Rather you than me in a 300

Edited by Sussex Lad - 14 Aug 19 at 6:20pm
 Post Reply Post Reply