FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which boat for a Big Dad and Little daughter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 19 at 7:02pm
Albacore gets my vote, too. Used to race against big helm/small crew combos regularly.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
Nacnud_smada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nacnud_smada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 19 at 7:47pm
Thank you
Paramedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 19 at 8:05pm
Lark with a view to a move up to a Merlin in 18 months or so would be my advice.
ChrisI View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ChrisI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 19 at 10:26pm
Albacores are good but quite heavy.....to move around on land at least.
An X1 or an X0 would be ideal**.... they have a sym spi and are maybe 2/3rds the weight....unbelievably manoeuvrable and they like a heavier helm than crew. In light winds, inland, you'll be sailing when everyone else is sat still.
(** Vested interest alert).
Mike7722 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike7722 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 19 at 6:05am
A Tasar might be quite good.

I don't know what the ideal weight range is, you may be slightly on the heavy side.
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 19 at 7:12am
2000. Itís what I sail with my kids.
andymck View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote andymck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 19 at 9:33am
This is all dependent on size of water, how many trees and what else is sailed in your club.
What is the aim of changing?
At 18 stone, I would not recommend a 2000 if you want it for racing. I own one and would usually recommend it due itís versatility, but for racing it is very weight sensitive especially on sheltered waters.
The albacore is a great boat. It is similar to the 12 in set up, so will not be a big change. It will be more competitive with your weight.
Does your daughter want to use a spinnaker? If yes, then a suitable merlin is always fun. But beware that the older ones will not have all the latest systems which make spinnaker handling so much easier. The upgrades can be expensive. The newer boats are more weight sensitive as well.
I would not recommend a Latk at 18 stone in the back. They can be ok with weight in, but it has a long flat run aft which you will drag, and so a merlin with more curve would work better inland.
Find something to try and see what you like.
Andy Mck
GarethT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 19 at 10:52am
Is your 18 stone set in ..er... stone?

Having tried and failed for years to lose weight, I found a boat/event that excited and motivated me and managed to shift 3 stone in 4 months without too much trauma (and had an absolute ball at this weekend's nationals).

Couldn't lose weight just to prevent an earlier death, but to go sailing....!!!
Mike7722 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike7722 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 19 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by andymck

At 18 stone, I would not recommend a 2000 if you want it for racing. I own one and would usually recommend it due itís versatility, but for racing it is very weight sensitive especially on sheltered waters.

The Laser Stratos (centreboard) could be good. It carries weight well, and when the wind is up it really goes, but it is super heavy.
Essentially a larger 2000.
rich96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rich96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 19 at 3:26pm
At 18 stone a merlin wouldn't be great - bit tippy and you will drag its back end

Lark similar

Tasar not great on small waters - better suited to large reservoirs or the sea. Will also 'stick' with a large helm

Albacore all the way - brilliant boats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>