FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Are there any Europe Sailors here......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
CT249 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote CT249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 19 at 12:08am
Originally posted by GarethT

That 77.1kg includes the pie eaters in the Finn fleet. What will it be without them?

Given the fact that they only make up a small proportion of the fleet, one can assume it wouldn't change much.
CT249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CT249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 19 at 12:13am
Originally posted by bustinben

Originally posted by CT249

Originally posted by sargesail

Seems to me that the dinghy world is divided into 2: the lightweights who think they are disadvantaged by it and donít recognise that you can hike hard when itís breezey but it wouldnít be quick to amputate when itís light. And those who know the truth.

I thought it was divided between the heavyweights who think they are always disadvantaged by it and don't recognise that they have more righting moment in a breeze, and those who know the truth. Big smile   It is simply impossible to exert more leverage than a heavier person of equal skill, height and fitness, therefore heavy sailors often have the advantage. Secondly, righting moment is pretty much directly equivalent to weight and height, whereas drag is equivalent to the sum of boat weight and sailor weight.  Righting moment therefore probably normally increases faster than drag does with extra body weight.

I can remember at a Laser state titles presentation I happened to sit at a table with people I hadn't met. They told me that at 85-88kg they had all been too heavy to succeed, hence their mediocre results.  After the presentation had finished, I asked the winner Brett Bayer what he weighed. His answer - 88kg. 

As a short light/medium weight who sails a lot of classes, I sometimes sail heavy, sometimes medium, and sometimes light. I think I'm therefore not really biased, but I do feel that heavyweights complain without justification more than lightweights.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to that data without knowing how it was collected.  Was it self reported or measured?  I recall seeing the published sailor weights for London 2012 and being mildly amused by how fictitious they were!

It's still probably better than ignoring the information that is available, especially since there seems to be no objective proof that there is widespread misinformation or that any such misinformation would greatly affect the claimed weights. I've never seen anything that indicates the Olympians I know are prone to lying about such things. I'm also in a class in which every male competitor is weighed in in public at every major championships, and I've been the guy who took the figures. That experience makes me have little faith in the ability of some people to judge the weight of others.
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 19 at 7:35am
Hi Boot
We look forward to seeing the fleet at Lee on Solent SC on the 31st August and 1st September
for an open meeting as part of our Regatta.
Just remember to duck very low in the gybes or you wont remember much about the weekend!
Good luck 
Gordon
Gordon
Phantom 1430
Bootscooter View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bootscooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 19 at 8:12am
Originally posted by Gordon 1430

Hi Boot
We look forward to seeing the fleet at Lee on Solent SC on the 31st August and 1st September
for an open meeting as part of our Regatta.
Just remember to duck very low in the gybes or you wont remember much about the weekend!
Good luck†
Gordon

Thanks Gordon, Iíll try!🤣
Finn GBR88 Gruffalo, Europe 185, Europe 252 Fizzer
Cameron Tweedle Sailing (Facebook)
DiscoBall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DiscoBall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 19 at 2:04pm
Anyway back  on topic - 30 entries, biggest champs in years. Anyone else going to drag a boat out of the garage/bushes and come and join us. Should be a great weekend! :)
rodney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 19 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Bootscooter

Originally posted by NickM99

Coming back to the OP. looking at the forecast for this weekend in Weymouth, 75kg+ looks ideal!

Thanks for pulling it back on track Nick, and youíre right - my weight will be good to have, but I doubt itíll be sufficient to trouble the levels of talent on show with ex Olympians and practiced Europe Ninjas from both here and abroad!

Latest entry numbers give us 30 boats!!!!! For context, thatíll make this year the largest UK Nationals, certainly since 1998 (which is as far as the Y&Y graph goes back), and possibly ever, going by statements from those that were around in the 90ís (apart from 1999 when there were 150 entries, which was presumably an Olympic Qualifier).

Absolutely fantastic work by the Class Assc to achieve this😎

Good post and great to see the Europe getting the numbers again.  Always loved the Europe and hope that the Nats go well.  Almost wishing I were competing - "almost"  Wink  Good luck and have fun  Smile
Rodney Cobb
Suntouched Sailboats Limited
http://www.suntouched.co.uk
rodney@suntouched.co.uk
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 19 at 4:50pm
I've owned 2 in my life, and still have a picture on the wall of me surfing back into the harbour at Aberystwyth in a big swell on the wall from 20 plus years ago. Somehow, apart from breaking sunglasses ducking for the gybe, it was never my head I hit, but my elbow. I could never break the habit of sticking my tiller extension arm in the air.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
andy h View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote andy h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 19 at 1:38pm
For the first time in twelve years I'm Europeless having owned four of the things. Gutted to now be resident in Australia just as the GBR class is undergoing such a resurgence, but really pleased for the new team running the association. They have listened to the sailors and arranged a great event.
NS14 2015
National 12 3344, Europe 397 and Mirror 53962 all gone with regret
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 19 at 2:04pm
Hi Andy
I thought you were taking one with you?
Hope its going well down in Wintery Aus( bloudy wet and cold for June at present here)
Regards
Gordon
Phantom1465

Gordon
Phantom 1430
andy h View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote andy h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 19 at 1:30pm
I had intended to, but reality bites.  I realised I wouldn't have room to keep two boats here so just equipped myself with an NS14 with which I can get good racing locally.  Maybe I'll find a Europe down here one day; there should be 60 or so scattered around the country.
NS14 2015
National 12 3344, Europe 397 and Mirror 53962 all gone with regret
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>